Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How are you downloading from your camera?

Started by allen ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

How are you downloading from your camera?

6 posts
  1. I am curious to know how people are downloading their files (JPEG and RAW) directly from their cameras to their computer.

     

    For instance, playing around with the Canon S70 and EOS350 I hade to use Canon's software to download the images form the camera to my laptop. My laptop (Powerbook) never recognized the CF Disk so I could not just browse the images using for instance Finder (using OSX). Is it possible to recognise the camera as a device?

     

    However, another camera I have, a Contax, no software is needed. Finder sees the SD disk right off like it does another device. This is great becasue many times I move the images directly from the camera to a computer other than the one the camera is hooked up to.

     

    I also have the ability to have (OS X) iPhoto see the camera as well. But I rarely do this because I typically will use Photoshop to view the images.

     

    I really like having the latter flexibility of using Finder or iPhoto but this seems to not be the case for the most part.

     

    I never tried to use a card reader with either the CF or SD disks. What happens then??

     

    So when I was playing around with the Canon did I miss something? What are others doingsuch as Olympus, Fuji, Nikon users?

     

    Cheers,

     

    Allen

    Edited by allen
  2. You need to install the driver that came with your camera before the computer will copy pictures off of the camera.

     

    But don't bother. Just get a CF card reader. $10 and 10x faster than copying through the camera.

  3. Unless I missed something no driver is need for OSX. Just need to use Canon's ImageBrowser when the camera is hooked up directly.

     

    When you use your card reader I assume that you see it as a device that you can access directly. I have yet to worry about a card reader because Apple gave me one of Belkins Camera to iPod converters which works reasonably fast.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Allen

  4. download the driver .. canons zoom browser or whatever it is called is shockingly bad.

     

    you can get the drivers off the canon website even .. download and install and then you can easily read the card when in the camera or in a card reader so you have everything then.

  5. Yeah, download the driver and bypass the camera software.

     

    OSX is getting more "PC" like every day. If the computer doesn't recognize a device natively, a driver for the MAC, from the manufacturer, will normally do the trick.

     

    just in case you didn't know, a card reader will be MUCH faster than a direct download from the camera.

  6. As others wrote: get a card reader.

    Its faster, simple, not using the camera power, not having cables from camera to computers that can be pulled by mistake and cause the camera to fall (I know few cases like this )

    I also had a lot of problems with Canon's drivers, its sometimes work, sometimes not and so on.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.