Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

what type of sculpin

Started by deep3dude ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

what type of sculpin

7 posts
  1. I have a few books which don't quite have the right picture to compare.

     

    This was taken outsite of Active Pass on the west coast of BC.

     

    Any thoughts on what type of sculpin this is? It was only about an inch in size.

     

    http://www.shutterfreaks.com/gallery/Underwater/CRW_0290b

  2. One inch long and has 3 stripes? How about 3-striped pygmy sculpin.

     

    I know nothing about coldwater fish: I just made that up, but the great thing about common names is that one name is no more correct than another. :)

     

    Hopefully a coldwater guru will jump in here with a better ID.

    Edited by acroporas
  3. Look a bit like Longspined bullhead Sculpin (Taurulus bubalis), but I'm not sure. This is a common species at the coast of Europe.

  4. Hi

     

    I shoot in BC waters. It appears to be a scalyhead sculpin (Artedius harringtoni)

    A fairly common local species. They are also seen with a more reddish color phase.

     

    Regards, Jett

  5. I second the Scalyhead opinion - (Artedius harringtoni). These guys photographed in Quadra Island, BC.

    regards,

    mpo

    www.mpostock.com

    www.batfishbooks.com

  6. Here you go.

    mpo

    post-4615-1127717686_thumb.jpg

  7. Rechecked my book and the eyes do match the scaly head sculpin. Quite a color difference from the book and the picture above.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.