Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Nikon 60mm Micro

Started by scottyb ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 60mm Micro

7 posts
  1. I will be using a Nikon 60mm Micro with my S2 Pro. I have practiced with it quiet a bit on land and it seems that the focus tends to wander a bit. Would you consider shooting manual focus or using the limit switch. I'm afraid the noise of the focus mechanism would frighten some small critters.

  2. How do you have your S2 set up to focus? Single servo, or continuous? Dynamic autofocus or AF Area mode?

     

    Mine almost always locks focus right away and doesn't hunt. I don't shoot the 60 in manual, but I do use the half-press to lock focus and then move out a bit to get the eyes in focus for good super macro shots.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. James, I have it set for single. I have learned to use the lock with the shutter as well. I think I will practice a lot more before I leave in a couple weeks. I would prefer to use it in auto if possible.

     

    Did your Ikelite housing come with the manual focus ring gear? Mine came with an aperture ring gear which would seem to be virtually useless with the S2 Pro, since it stays locked at the minimum setting.

  4. I haven't tried manual focus w/ Ike's setup. I think you need a different sleeve/gear to do it.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. FYI. I just discovered that you can not use the AF lens in MF with this housing, according to the supplemental instructions that just arrived from Ikelite.

  6. I have just tried putting the 60mm Nikkor Micro lens into the S2 housing to see if i could use it in manual mode.

     

    I succeeded by attached the spring plastic thing (technical name for it you know!) that is supposed to fit the zoom control on a lens around the manual focus ring upside down so that the two platic guide rails effectively face towards the camera body.

     

    Not perfect but it did work

  7. That's an excellent idea. I will take it with me and if I'm not satisfied with the AF, I will have that as a backup. Unfortunately you have to commit to AF or MF before the dive since the switch is not accessible.

     

    I've been working with the AF on land for the last week and seem to be making progress. However, it still seems to "hunt" on occasion.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.