Hello from the Salish Sea!

Troporobo

Hello all!  Like many of you I come from the old site, and am very glad to have this new opportunity.  Thanks to those driving it!  

The Salish Sea may not be familiar to those not in this region, as the name is relatively new having been invented in the late 80s.  It encompasses the inland waters around Washington and British Colombia, from the Straight of Georgia and the Straight of Juan de Fuca near Vancouver all the way south to Puget Sound near Seattle and Olympia.  It is home to orcas, many species of salmon, grey whales, the giant Pacific octopus, bald eagles, and so much more.  It is where I learned to dive in the early 80s, and where I have returned to live after many decades of life and work in the South Pacific and SE Asia, on an island roughly in the middle.  

I have yet to plunge my thin tropical blood back into the cold green waters here, but this site is my daily reminder that I need to take a deep breath and just do it!

• Like 3

Thanks for the welcome!  We are well settled and loving our new environment. We’re on the water a lot, fishing and crabbing or just boating to new beaches, but so far not under it.  We also have the great good fortune of a daughter in Hawaii, and cheap nonstop flights to get there, so the temptation to relocate the scuba gear to her house is strong! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Troporobo said:

Hello all!  Like many of you I come from the old site, and am very glad to have this new opportunity.  Thanks to those driving it!  

The Salish Sea may not be familiar to those not in this region, as the name is relatively new having been invented in the late 80s.  It encompasses the inland waters around Washington and British Colombia, from the Straight of Georgia and the Straight of Juan de Fuca near Vancouver all the way south to Puget Sound near Seattle and Olympia.  It is home to orcas, many species of salmon, grey whales, the giant Pacific octopus, bald eagles, and so much more.  It is where I learned to dive in the early 80s, and where I have returned to live after many decades of life and work in the South Pacific and SE Asia, on an island roughly in the middle.  

I have yet to plunge my thin tropical blood back into the cold green waters here, but this site is my daily reminder that I need to take a deep breath and just do it!

I'm here in the Salish Sea as well and, like you, "have yet to plunge my thin tropical blood into the cold green waters", ha!!!   I'm on Rich Passage between Manchester, Bremerton.. looking across the passage at Bainbridge Island.

• Like 1

Hi neighbor!  I’m a bit north of you, on the SW end of Camano Island, looking across to Langley on Whidbey Island. It’s a very special part of the world that we are so happy to have found.

We learned to dive in Edmonds a long time ago.  On a recent visit, we were pleasantly surprised to see how much the underwater park and onshore facilities have improved and expanded.  It made me think of getting updated on drysuit diving.  The last time I did that was in a stiff and heavy orange Viking suit with 30 pounds of lead!