Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Question on Macro lens

Started by eddietkm ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Question on Macro lens

9 posts
  1. Hi,

    I have a question which I would like to consult regarding the use of macro lens for underwater photography. During the recent trip, I bought a normal close-up filter, which is used for land based photography, as it is much cheaper than underwater macro-lens such as Inon UCL-165 AD Close-up Lens . However during the underwater shootout, I noticed that this close-up lens does not help much. Does it mean the land-based close-up lens is not suitable? Is there a difference between the close-up lens and Inon UCL-165AD close-up lens?

    Please advise.

     

    Thank you very much

    ET

  2. What is the power of your close-up lens. If it is a +1 or 2 diopter that is not a lot of power and it won't have a large effect.

  3. What is the power of your close-up lens. If it is a +1 or 2 diopter that is not a lot of power and it won't have a large effect.

     

    Opps, I forgot to mention that. It is a +4 diopter.

     

    thanks

    ET

  4. I have a question, ar you using this diopter on the outside of the housing ( in the water ). If so I am under the impression that doing this will reduce the magnification of a lens designed for use in air.

  5. I have a question, ar you using this diopter on the outside of the housing ( in the water ). If so I am under the impression that doing this will reduce the magnification of a lens designed for use in air.

     

    Hi, thank you for the reply. Yes I'm using the diopter on the outside of the housing and in the water. Therefore as what you have mentioned, not only I won't get the magnification, I will reduced the overall magnification as well?

     

    Thank you for your advise.

    Regards,

    ET

  6. I do not think that using the diopter will reduce the magnification of the primary camera lens. I took a look my diopters. What I see is that normal diopters for use in ail are not flat on both sides where as the ones designed for underwater use are convex on the front and flat on the rear. The more knowledgeable optical techies may be able to go into more detail on this.

     

    anyway, you will have to bite the bullet and get a UW macro attachment. Actually, they are not all that much more expensive that a high quality multi element diopter ! consider how much you have invested in the system and the cost of the macro lens will not hurt so much. IMHO, the macro lens is one of the accessories a beginner should add to a camera system.

     

    chris

  7. I do not think that using the diopter will reduce the magnification of the primary camera lens. I took a look my diopters. What I see is that normal diopters for use in ail are not flat on both sides where as the ones designed for underwater use are convex on the front and flat on the rear. The  more knowledgeable optical techies may be able to go into more detail on this.

     

    anyway, you will have to bite the bullet and get a UW macro attachment. Actually, they are not all that much more expensive that a high quality multi element diopter ! consider how much you have invested in the system and the cost of the macro lens will not hurt so much. IMHO, the macro lens is one of the accessories a beginner should add to a camera system.

     

    chris

     

    Thank you very much Chris. I guess the design for use in underwater will have to be different as one has to take refraction into account. I will probably get the Inon UCL-165AD macro lens. Have you try this lens, by the way?

     

    Regards,

    ET

  8. I use an SLR system therefore I have not used the Inon lens. But I do know that Inon is known for high quality!

  9. I use an SLR system therefore I have not used the Inon lens. But I do know that Inon is known for high quality!

     

    Thank you Chris. I will get the Inon lens and try it out in dec. I will post it for comment once I come back.

     

    Cheers

    ET

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.