Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

RAw conversion.

Started by huguito ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

RAw conversion.

6 posts
  1. I'm in the process of teaching myself everything about the fine points of processing RAW files instead of my usual JPEG captures. I like to be able to go back to old files and be able to acces the same RAW capture as shot.

    I'm reading "Camera RAw for CS2" from Bruce Fraser. Lots of info there. But still unclear about a very important point.

     

    There it comes; After a conversion of a file;

     

    DO I STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL RAW FILE TO GO BACK TO?

     

    What about if 6 months from now I like to work in the same picture with a different WB or exposure?

     

    Do I need to keep a duplicate set of RAW pictures before converting in order to keep an untouched as shot file?

     

    Hugo

  2. Yes, you still have the original raw file to go back to. It is unchanged.

     

    Photoshop remembers the latest settings that you used for your conversion, so it may LOOK different than the first time you saw it, but it's still the raw file, just being displayed to you a little differently.

     

    HTH

    James

  3. DO I STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL RAW FILE TO GO BACK TO?

     

    What about if 6 months from now I like to work in the same picture with a different WB or exposure?

     

    Do I need to keep a duplicate set of RAW pictures before converting in order to keep an untouched as shot file?

     

    Hugo

     

    Yes. You can configure PS CR converter to write your settings two ways; one in an internal file, if yu transfer the file you have to also export the settings first, or to an external .xml "piggyback" file that resides along with the original file in the directory/folder - this is the default setting. You can change the two under preferences.

     

    For further backup and to reduce file size you may want to use the DNG converter to shrink the files losslessy. I think the new Camera Raw 3.2 can convert those files on the fly.

     

    Jack

  4. I understand that after adjustements in Camera Raw I can always fall back to the settings as shot.

    My question is after the conversion.

    Lets say that I did my RAW adjustements and convert the file to TIFF, final adjustements in Photoshop and finish.

    Once is saved, some time later, can I acces the initial RAW capture in case I want to edit in a different way?

     

    Hugo

  5. I understand that after adjustements in Camera Raw I can always fall back to the settings as shot.

    My question is after the conversion.

    Lets say that I did my RAW adjustements and convert the file to TIFF, final adjustements in Photoshop and finish.

    Once is saved, some time later, can I acces the initial RAW capture in case I want to edit in a different way?

     

    Hugo

     

    Yes. The original RAW file does not change. The TIFF of the same photo is a different file. You can start the process all over again any time.

  6. Thanks Herbko. That's the answer I was looking for.

     

    Hugo

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.