Here is an email I received from Murray Kaufman through the UW-Photo list. It is reproduced by request/with permission from Murray:
I received this email today and sent an immediate response. Some of the other list members, who are also ASMP members, thought that I should share this with everyone on the UW-Photo Forum. Even if you are an amateur UW photographer,you need to be aware that this situation occurs frequently and it negatively affects all of us.
Murray
Received 11-12-02:
Dear Members and Friends of LAUPS
I am looking for photos that the photographer would be willing to donate to a new permanent exhibit at the National Aquarium in Washington, D.C. The exhibit is being sponsored by the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation. We need about 150 photos total, but attached is the list of our most immediate needs. I have a longer list I can forward to you as well as soon as I update it with what we've already located.
When NMSF agreed to sponsor this exhibit, we were under the impression we could get most of our photos from the NOAA photo library and we didn't budget for buying photos. Now, come to find out, the NOAA photo library is woefully outdated and we can't find good photos. So, we're looking for photographers who want the exposure -- with a photo credit and their website address, for example.
Initially, a photo sent by email is fine. I can forward it on to the Aquarium Director for his approval. If the photo is selected it will be placed on a panel and might be blown up as large as 18" Wide by 12-24" Tall, so it has to be of the highest quality. We'll need a slide or transparency sent to the fabricator in Washington, D.C.
Time is of the essence so I'd like to find photographers in the LA area, where I'm based, so I can drop by and look at the slides if they can't be
accessed online.
I hope that answers all your questions and I very much appreciate your
assistance on this!
Best Wishes,
Laurie Howell
National Marine Sanctuary Foundation
e-mail: GrScene@aol.com
Here is the response I sent to Ms. Howell:
Laurie Howell
National Marine Sanctuary Foundation
Dear Ms. Howell,
Many underwater photographers, both amateur and professional, received your request for donated photos for a permanent exhibit in the National Aquarium. As a member of the underwater photographers group in the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP), I would like to express to you why I believe that your request is unfair and should not be honored.
Underwater photographers, whether amateur or professional, experience great expense and personal risk to make images in the marine environment. Accordingly, they should be fairly compensated for their work. A "for profit" organization, such as the National Aquarium, should pay appropriate usage fees for these images, which will be used as part of their business. Even though the exhibit is sponsored by a non-profit organization, such as the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation, the printers, shippers and everyone else involved in the charitable work (including the employees of the organization) are usually being paid for their work, so there is no reason to expect that the photographers should give their work away. Certainly, a photo credit is not adequate compensation for use of an image in a permanent exhibit in a facility that charges admission fees.
I hope you will understand how your request undermines the underwater
photography community by diminishing the value of their work. I hope that
you will reconsider and pay fair compensation for the images you use. I
also hope that all underwater photographers who see this message will
carefully consider the negative impact of donating their hard-earned images to this project.
Sincerely yours,
Murray S. Kaufman
Reefs and Rain Forests Publications
618 N. Sierra Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
tel: (310) 278-8843
fax: (310) 278-8844
email: murray@murraykaufman.com
www.murraykaufman.com
Thoughts?
Cheers
James