Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Apple announces Aperture

Started by bella ·

  • 46Posts
  • 46Replies

Read-only discussion

Apple announces Aperture

46 posts
  1. I just got this in my weekly update from Apple:

     

    Apple Introduces Aperture

     

    The first all-in-one post production tool that provides everything photographers need after the shoot, Aperture offers an advanced and incredibly fast RAW workflow that makes working with a camera’s RAW images as easy as JPEG. Built from the ground up for pros, Aperture features powerful compare and select tools, nondestructive image processing, color managed printing and custom web and book publishing.

    [Oct 19, 2005]

     

    It looks interesting.

  2. Yes, nice interface, but $499 price tag against Photoshop/Bridge that is a 2nd+ generation product.

    I don't think I'll be giving up Camera Raw soon.

     

    Doesn't look like it will support Fuji anyway.

     

    Jack

  3. Photoshop CS2 is $550+ new.

  4. Go to www.apple.com and watch the video clips. Amazing, intuitive and powerful. I may just buy it and shoot RAW (comment just for Jame's benefit ;)

     

    Looks like my Apple stock may go up again :)

     

    David Haas

  5. Looks like a nice software package but I wonder how fast it'll run without the minimum recommended dual g5 processors! Im sure my slow PS CS2 would scream on that system.

     

    M.

  6. Looks like my Apple stock may go up again :)

     

    David Haas

     

    Apple is a music distribution company. Computer and software are just small side gigs. ;)

  7. Designed by Apple, made to run on Apple. So it'll work without crashes, directory reloads, and other crappola' PC users accept as normal to try and get some real creative work done on a computer ;)

     

    Maybe with ONLY 6.3 million iPods sold in a quarter this makes them more of a music company. But they ARE the portable music player market, and I use the 30GB Photo iPod to save my photos on trips. But then I probaly save less images than many shooters.

     

    Too bad folks don't look at switching. Aperture will surely be a hit, at least for Apple users :)

     

    YMMV

     

    David Haas

  8. Adobe Photoshop = Version 9

    Apple Aperture - Version 1

     

    Adobe Camera Raw = Version 3.2

    Apple Aperture Raw converter = ???

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. Adobe Photoshop = Version 9

    Apple Aperture - Version 1

     

    Adobe Camera Raw = Version 3.2

    Apple Aperture Raw converter = ???

     

    Cheers

    James

    True BUT

    version 0.1 on apple = version 5 of anything else... well except OSX.4... it just sux!

  10. Yeah Dru! Give it back to 'em ;)

     

    Watch the video demos FIRST and then make up your mind.

     

    Lowly little iMac G5 20" screen user.......Clean desktop, amazing screen and it works.....

     

    :)

     

    David Haas

  11. Designed by Apple, made to run on Apple. So it'll work without crashes...

     

    Too bad folks don't look at switching. Aperture will surely be a hit, at least for Apple users ;)

     

    YMMV

     

    David Haas

     

    There are pros and cons of design by apple and made to run only on apples. Photoshop does have it's glitches. I'm not a fan of it's user interface. I hate bridge. I think the default of using auto everything on the raw converter is bad, and not having a simple way of changing it is brain dead. I haven't tried an Apple, to me however great it's user interface may be will not overcome the one big advantage of Photoshop. That is its large user base that provides actions and plugin for all sort of interesting things. That's the disadvantage of running only on apples. I don't think it will ever have the richness of the resourses provided by other photoshop users.

     

    My reason for not ever considering apple is that I have to be reasonably competent at using a PC and Linux at work, and can't see the payoff in mixing in another system. I'm not happy with the Microsoft PC although it has improved quite a bit over time.

    Edited by herbko
  12. I hate Bridge, too.

     

    Aperture looks like it is well thought out. Can't wait to see it in action. I see it working *with* Photoshop. I only use Photoshop for the things that Aperture doesn't do, since I hate Bridge and don't like Camera Raw.

  13. Aperture looks like it might compliment Photoshop very well.

     

    Two obstacles prevent my from buying now:

    1. Price is high at $499.

    Educational price is $149 institutional and $250 individual.

    Perhaps I need to take a class at the local Community College.

     

    2. System requirements are very high. My dual 1GHz G4 might not hack it. Perhaps it's time to upgrade to that G5 I've been thinking about.

    Once again, educational discount price helps. I have another reason to register for a class.

     

    -Brad

    Edited by BradDB
  14. Herb brings up many good points.

     

    Adobe is certainly "the standard' however I think many shooters(especially underwater ones) could literally do 99% of their post processing with Elements 3.0 or the new 4.0 (for PC only) even shooting RAW. All available for Mac or PC platforms.

     

    Maybe some people like to spend hours adjusting their photos. I don't, and my Mac helps me work faster and at least for me, intuitively. Fomr that standpoint, I think Aperture will be a hit on those folks already using Macs for digital photography. And a lot of shooters already are using Macs ;)

     

    Davey

  15. I've gotten used to bridge. It is a v1 product; the default and some of the interface is very slow and weird to use. But there are a lot of shortcuts and using it with Camera RAW works quite well.

     

    Aperature's minimum operating system is a G5 1.8Mhz. Recommended dual G5 system. Well, it'd be an excuse to upgrade my lowly G4 1 Mhz system. But gee PS runs quite well on it.

     

    I agree with James, I don't know that I'd buy a v1 product for $500. You would also certainly need to work with Photoshop, so it seems like an expensive browser/converter to me.

     

    Hmm, might be fun to run into an Apple store with a few shots and see how it works.

     

    But again, Apple has not supported RAW very well in the past, they don't support anywhere near all the formats that Adobe does now. Adobe has a huge lead in it's relationships with the various manufacturers and their versions and cameras. DNG will probably be the archival method used by most of us.

     

    I hope some of this trickles down into iPhoto, as a browser it's very nice.

     

    Jack

    Edited by JackConnick
  16. I just had a look at the spec sheet on dpreview.

     

    It dosen't have a curves tool !

     

    How can anyone put out a $500 "professional" image editing program without a curves tool !

    Edited by herbko
  17. Apple has had the advantage of watching the evolution of Photoshop and learning from it. I'm sure their program is a really good first effort. But I'll let the work the bugs out on Apple users first, before they introduce the Windows version like they did with iTunes. And everyone knows most iods now get hooked up to Windows PCs.

     

    PS: Sure the demos and screens on the Apple site look great. Duh!

  18. Take a continuing ed course at a local university or the local community college. You get the student discount. I've done this with a number of Apple products.

     

    If I didn't have CS2 already I would probably get version 1.2.

     

    I've been told by professors at Brooks that Apple's professional video editing program is the best on the market so I wouldn't count out Aperture. Now I don't shoot video so don't argue with me. I'm just relating what I've been told more than once by video professionals.

     

    My concern is that Adobe may no longer upgrade CS for Mac. I was hoping for an Mac industrial strength product that combined what extensis, IView and iPhoto did.

  19. Oh man, I'm all over that. And the new dual-dualcores.

     

    I'll stroll on over to our campus bookstore and kick the tires in a couple of days (got to love that faculty discount).

     

    Herb: I suspect that curves adjustment is in there, but not called by that name. I'll look into it.

  20. But I'll let the work the bugs out on Apple users first, before they introduce the Windows version like they did with iTunes.

     

    Aperture is the first pro-grade fruit of Core Image, which is a deeply ingrained part of OS X. AFAIK Microsoft plans to have something similar in longhorn eventually, but I think they dropped it from the expected first release (whenever that is), so I don't think you'll see a Windows equivalent for a while.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.