Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wilma

Started by Rocha ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Wilma

8 posts
  1. Hi guys, I just had to cut my trip to Belize short by one day bacause of hurricane Wilma. Yesterday we had to evacuate from Carrie Bow Key, not much because of the winds, but because the swell was really high, and almost covering the entire island. I am now at the Belize airport and will post some pictures when I upload them tomorrow. Other than this, I had a great time and finally photographed indigo hamlets spawning.

     

    Luiz

  2. Luiz,

     

    Glad to hear that you got out ahead of the storm. Looking forward to the pics.

  3. Huge storm surge coming to the cayes in Belize and then Cozumel. 15-20 - could cover some of them completely!

     

    James

  4. We took a beating and we were miles away from this beast.

    I know a lot of us here live on the US coast where it may hit ... if / when i does I definately would not want to be there .. be safe everyone and if you can be gone. Evacuation is a very good idea :)

    54446137_cad6f4a0f1.jpg

    54446174_8ff93a3a7b.jpg

     

    MORE HERE

    link corrected

    Edited by digitallywet
  5. Giles, are these taken by the submarine dock? Very impressive photos.

     

    I'll be hitting the waves tomorrow in Galveston - 12 second period! That just gives you time to come up gasping before the next one nails you.

     

    Be safe everyone.

     

    Cheers

    James

    Edited by james
  6. yes down by the subamrine dock ... george towns waves rock when they hit ... actually yesterday in the bay we had that wave they have in hawaii ... is it pipeline that crashes perfectly in the middle .. from both sides .. the only wave in the world or whatever to do that .. well if we had waves here more often we got it too ...

     

    10ft waves rolling in on 7mb calming fdown a little now though I guess .. was gonna go surfing today too ... mostly body surfing as i lost my board during Michelle a few years back.

     

    Anyway ... 10 ft waves and plenty of surge (like another 10ft) roads flooded out all over with torrents of water running through them .... we were like 150miles if not more away ... vicious stuff man.

  7. Ok, finally had time to sort some of my pics. Here is Carrie Bow in a normal day:

     

    _DSC1585.jpg

     

    And here is it a few hours before the evacuation:

     

    _DSC1648.jpg

     

    _DSC1649.jpg

     

    It is not as dramatic as the Caymans because there is no place where the waves really break, but the entire island is only 2 feet above sea level. The situation got a lot worse two hours after I took those photos, but by then I was all packed and ready to go.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.