Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Antibes Antics

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 31Posts
  • 31Replies

Read-only discussion

Antibes Antics

31 posts
  1. I took a look at the wining portfolio and , in my opinion , some images are quite overexposed I suppose that it's maybe because of something wrong during the posting but anyway , for my taste , the use of the flash is too harsh in some of the pics. ; i like more subtle well-balanced lightning.

     

    Alex i didn't saw your portfolio at Antibes but i saw your web page and i like more your style , congratulations and keep going.

     

    El buzo

  2. Congrats on the placing. Certaily some lofty competition. I bet you out partied them though :lol:

     

    Actually most of them party with fair skill too. I've deliberated about posting this one, but attached is me this am at 05:26 local time. Still hanging on.

     

    My portfolio was made up of 10 images from the new gallery on my website, but didn't include the wildlife photographer ones. The winning shots on the website aren't scanned that well, so don't judge them too harshly.

     

    Alex

    post-713-1130694453_thumb.jpg

  3. Hi Alex,

     

    Got back from the festival at 1:00am this morning then straight back to the day job at 8:00am.. :D

     

    Its was good to meet you at last and have a few beers. Congrats again on the award and thanks for not posting any photo's of me in "lightweight mode" falling a sleep during the drinky session.. I was tired Honest !! :lol:

     

    We got a free taxis from the festival so that saved us 60 euro's although the driver thought he was Alain Prost going through some narrow back streets.. Apparently Dave from Dive mag missed his flight because of the traffic problems..

     

    Divesafe

     

    DeanB..

  4. Good to meet you too, Dean. I haven't written much about the other Wetpixel folks at Antibes - as I was hoping that they might contribute their impressions on the event in this thread. What did you make of it?

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. I'll let you know when I've uploaded my social pictures onto my private site, but don't worry as there are much worse ones of me than there are of you.

  5. Alex: was Manu actually at Antibes? He's done well in competitions!

     

    I wish I had been able to go. I really loved that it was such a social event.

  6. No he wasn't. Leandro Blanco accepted the award on his behalf. I haven't ever met Manu.

     

    It would be awesome if you could make it next year, Eric. I still can't believe I haven't see you for more than two years now.

     

    Alex

  7. Yes, I thought the festival was fantastic. A lot bigger than i expected and everybody i spoke to was friendly and helpful.

     

    I learned a lot from speaking to people like Alex, other photo pro's, filmmakers (above and underwater), directors, producers etc... It was weird, one moment i was on a dirty, cold building site watching paint dry then i was sitting outside a bar, in the sunshine, in the South of France talking to some of the industries finest... Twlight zone or what. B)

     

    If this helps any newbies like me: We flew out of Luton with easyjet which was around £120 return. Stayed at the Hotel Cecil (thanks again Eric) which was basic but comfortable and friendly. That was 60 euro's (£43) a night for a twin room, between two, so cheap as... The taxis from Nice airport to Juan les pins was 55 euro's but for the return journey we got a courtesy taxis from the festival which i was told was run by a french dive club.. For free. :lol:

     

    The standard of a lot the films was impressive as well as most of the photo's which always inspires me to do better next time. I am even thinking of entering some stills at some point in the future... I also got by with my 'Del boy' french.

     

    So altogether i was impressed. In the end i did not win anything but i met some good people made some new mates and contacts and will definatley be going again. Also my mate Dave who's a non diver was made very welcome by all and he cannot stop thanking me for taking him.

     

    Cheers all

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Also my mate Dave who's a non diver was made very welcome by all and he cannot stop thanking me for taking him.

    Ok Dean, who did your mate meet that he can't stop thanking you for? Must be good. :lol:

  9. I think (as with myself) it was the first time he'd been to something like that and, such a grand event..With all the people we met telling of their fanatastic stories of locations and experiences and also being so friendly. (I know all of us in the diving community are usually helpfull and top-people..Usually.??) it just over whelmed him..

     

    Or was it the amount of Stella he consumed...? ;)

     

    No... he loved it. Don't forget we live in a small cotswold town !!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB.

  10. ...for me, the festival was well worth the visit, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely go again.

     

    One thing I got from the event was the amount of networking that’s possible (and so easy with everyone being so friendly).

     

    But also what meant a lot was getting to talk to some photographers who’ve been a constant source of inspiration. I remember seeing Kurt Amsler’s work when I was a teenager, so to finally meet him was great. Also, as Alex mentioned, Amos Nachoum is a real personality and the presentation by Mike Portelly was touching - it was encouraging to speak to both Kurt and Mike about how passionately they feel about the environmental issues that face the planet. To quote Kurt “I make my living from the sea, so it’s only right that I try to put as much back as I canâ€.

     

    Of course it’s also a great social event - I made a lot of new friends, who I’ve no doubt I’ll run into again, being such a small world.

     

    Cheers

     

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Jones
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.