Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Video Magic

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Video Magic

11 posts
  1. I have just updated the Magic Filters website and had the chance to add a couple of sample clips of video taken with the Magic Filter back in September:

     

    movie1.jpg

     

    http://www.magic-filters.com/video.html

     

    Peter Rowlands, who took the videos, asked me to stress that they are very much test shots taken in poor conditions and in no way represent the full capability of the filter combined with his camera, a Sony HDR-HC1. White balance was set manually underwater.

     

    Anyway, thought you'd be interested.

     

    Alex

  2. I'm interested...

  3. I couldn't view the clips, they gave me an error. Is your filter similar to the filters that come with the camcorder to add red back into the footage ?

    Edited by ronrosa
  4. Yes. It is another type of colour correction filter for UW (it is much more similar to a UR Pro filter, than a straight red filter). Its advantages are that it works well over a wide depth range and it is cheap. Its disadvantage is that it is only available as a gel filter.

     

    The vids need Quicktime 7 to play. I can't play them on my laptop, either!

     

    Alex

  5. Hi Alex,

     

    I am interested as well...

     

    One thing if i can throw this open for comments ?? As I will hopefully working in the beautiful waters of a well known quarry next year, will the filter be sufficient for green water(?).. I have asked this question in the past to other video guys and girls and it seems to be a bit of a stumbling block...

     

    Some say that the normal UR PRO red filter, white balanced should be fine other say that you need the green water filter (which i think is more Pinky in colour).. If your magic filter will accomadate all water types then, FANTASTIC !!!

     

    Any Idea's ????

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  6. Hi Dean,

     

    If you want to use a filter in green water I would go for the UR Pro GR filter - as it is specifically designed for such conditions (its the pinky one, rather than the orange one).

     

    Alex

     

    For your interest, here is the FAQ from the Magic Website about green water - which is about still rather than video photography:

     

    Does the Magic work in Green Water?

    The Magic Filter is designed for photography in brightly lit, tropical blue water. Filters work by subtraction of light, and green temperate waters are less suitable for filter photography because their is less available light to begin with, less light penetrates the water because it is usually rougher, less light penetrates to a certain depth because it is scattered by particles in the water, and because of this scattering the light that has reached this depth has actually passed through more water than at an equivalent depth in the tropics and therefore requires a stronger filter balance the spectum. Ambient light photography in green waters is usually best either as black and white or as very shallow water photography with filters.

  7. Cheers Alex,

     

    Pity, I would have rather thrown my business your way. Maybe you could match the GR filter in the future..??(a thought)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Hi Alex

    Can you tell me what housing Mr Rowlands was using? I just bought an HDR-HC1 and have yet to find a housing available on the market that can access the manual white balance via LANC, since there is no user-programmable mechanical button that can be used, like for the A1. Thanks.

  9. I have seen Peter's housing several times, but as it is video and not stills I am not sure which brand it is. But I think it is a relatively generic one, which he has put his own super wide angle lens on.

     

    Regarding the manual white balance - he controls the manual WB with a mechanical control - using the button on the screen. And I do remember him saying something about changing something in the custom settiings on the camera to rearrange how the camera positions these buttons in the screen.

     

    Alex

  10. Ikelite allows control of all screen buttons to provide white balance, and provides control for assignable camera button on right side. Housing has electronic circuitry to reverse left/right so image is correct when viewed in mirror. Switch provided to turn off the circuitry when pushing screen buttons. Note external Inon and Epoque lenses can be added to this housing. Believe housing should be more expensive.

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/sony_hc1.html

  11. I couldn't view the clips, they gave me an error.  Is your filter similar to the filters that come with the camcorder to add red back into the footage ?

     

    ratZ - me neither.....

     

    ps: alex... i'm waiting for my GATES lady to get back from England to verify size on housing.....

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.