Let me ask something to you all published and famous photographers that frequent this forum... My site has been running for a few months now, and I've been getting quite a few hits from google. So, lately, some webmasters have been asking me to use my images on their commercial websites, and my answers are usually that I don't provide images for that use. I am answering like that mainly because I have no idea how much to charge. If it is too cheap, it will devaluate the work of professionals photographers, if it is too expensive they won't buy it. So, my question is, how much to charge? Is there a "standard" price of images for the web?
Thanks,
Luiz
My question is why you are getting so many hits and those requests? Send em my way!
Or give me the name of your search engine optimizing method....i get like no hits....
Mike, you want to know the secrete to getting search engine hits. Misspell words. More than half of my google hits have come from misspelled words.
Mike, you want to know the secrete to getting search engine hits. Misspell words. More than half of my google hits have come from misspelled words.
Well they are misspelled fish names. I have gotten so many hits on "gobys" and "wrass" I considered leaving it that way.
Perhaps i should just spell it "ass"
I'd really like to see an answer to Luiz's original question. I also like to know what people do when one of your images shows up without permission on a commercial website, a hobbyist website (like a reef tank club), or an academic one. I haven't found one of mine on a commercial site yet but a university site took quite a few for a digital guide. It was quite ironic - they made a big deal on the first page about respecting the rights of the photographers & asking for permission to copy but posted mine without permission or credit.
I have not sold much, but I did sleep in a holiday in last night.......
How much you can charge has a lot to do with who they are and how they use it.
There are programs and services available to price photography. The number of viewers and the size of the images go into the equation.
I'd really like to see an answer to Luiz's original question. I also like to know what people do when one of your images shows up without permission on a commercial website, a hobbyist website (like a reef tank club), or an academic one. I haven't found one of mine on a commercial site yet but a university site took quite a few for a digital guide. It was quite ironic - they made a big deal on the first page about respecting the rights of the photographers & asking for permission to copy but posted mine without permission or credit.
I would definitely call em on it. That is basically theft, especially if they don't give you credit.
As I understand it, the industry standard is FotoQuote Pro. It has a tryout version you can check out. The app has a lot of information, but it's built off of a FileMaker database, and the interface is HORRIBLE.
As a UI guy, it pains me to see software like that.
As a UI guy, it pains me to see software like that.
Funny, I heard you were redesigning it.
~Matt Segal
I would definitely call em on it. That is basically theft, especially if they don't give you credit.
I did. After doing a websearch on all the images & finding the majority had been taken from different sites without credit I notified the copyright holders. None of them had been contacted. After I emailed the site administrators it was shut down. The site was from an academic research agency & designed to be a photo id resource for students & conservationists. I would have been happy to give them permission if they had only asked.
Thanks everyone for the links! Now at least I have an idea of how much to charge...
It also depends on how they intend to use the pics. I had a dive shop in Honduras email me to purchase some photos for their website (at least they asked). I charged them $25 each. They bought five.