Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What are these? Nudi's Flatworm, shell?

Started by mreid ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

What are these? Nudi's Flatworm, shell?

9 posts
  1. I have no idea what these are? Maybe a live shell?

    post-821-1132025034_thumb.jpg

    Edited by mreid
  2. Nope dont know. I would guess flatworm.

    Edited by acroporas
  3. Benthic ctenophores, something like Coeloplana. Note the pair "chimneys" in each, from which the tentacles would protrude.

    --Jon

  4. Hi mreid! Carol here from the same trip, awesome, huh??

     

    I photographed the same creature several times and I guess I didn't show you but my A & A Ferrari, U/W Malayasian Macrolife book that I brought on the boat has that creature listed under Nudibranch, UnIDed (page 85 plate 132). Now that book has some discrepencies, but I'd go with a Nudi till Leslie or one of the slug forums comes up with something else. It seems Graham told me it was a Nudi also, but I could have brain-fade also...........

     

    Take Care, C

  5. I trust Jon's ID as much as I would trust Leslie's. He seems to know his worms.

     

    And Leslie is going to be gone for a few weeks so don't hold your breath waiting for a response from her.

  6. Surprise, I have internet access! At least while I'm in San Jose; when I go off to the coasts I won't.

     

    Jon's right. It is a benthic ctenophore, possibly Coeloplana meteoris or something like it. there are probably a lot of unidentified species hiding under that name. You can see more pictures of C. meteoris on the Segars' site www.reefimages.com

  7. Thanks all, I needed to know also.

     

    No offense to Jon's ID, :(

     

    I had just corresponded w/ Leslie before, I knew she would know.

     

    It is interesting it is in such a recent book as the Ferrari's as "UnIDed", not even a family name, just lumped in w/Nudis. Now they will know.

     

    Best, Carol

    Edited by seagrant
  8. I love the Ferrari book. There are several mis-identifications in it but that's par for the course. I can't think of a single guide book (as least those in English that I can read) that doesn't have mistakes. Taxonomy is tough!

     

    Jon is the curator of Nemertea at the Smithsonian & quite a bit above me in the museum hierarchy. I'd say he's pretty trustworthy - at least about nemerteans! :(

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.