Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Another from Lembeh. Wierd waspfish?

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Another from Lembeh. Wierd waspfish?

26 posts
  1. I don't have a dart board at home so the grouper doubles up as one. You have to use the dart gun to get as close to the eye as possible! It is an unusual use of an uw pic!

     

    Alex

  2. Just to give you an update Alex, I haven't heard from Stuart Poss, but I found out that he is based in New Orleans, so I don't expect to hear from him soon.

     

    I sent the pictures to Gerry Allen, he is off diving somewhere, I will let you know when he answers.

     

    Luiz

  3. Well, everyone was wrong on this one. I finally got the expert opinion, here it is:

     

    "Hi Luiz,

     

    Fish 1 is actually a serranid that mimics a scorpanid. It is Centrogenys

    vaigiensis. Fish 2 is Apistus(or Paracentropogon) longispinis.

     

    Best wishes, Gerry"

  4. Hmmm....

    ...the feature that was the defining thing was the dorsal fin between the eyes, like photo #2...which made it a longfin waspfish.

    Didn't I say that? My notes from Fishbase equate Paracentropogon longispinus with...aha! Longfin waspfish or Wispy waspfish. That's the trouble with common names. Anyway, at least it was speedy for you to get an ID. It took four years, 3 fish experts, including one rather famous one that said," heck if I know", after dragging the photo half way around the world. It was a photo by Constanino Petrinos on Fishbase that nailed it. Here's my version, asleep in a sea pen. I think they're awfully cute even with the long latin name.

    Cheers,

    Marli

    post-1116-1134703359_thumb.jpg

  5. To me the second one looks more Waspfish than Velvetfish.

     

    The first one (vertical) could be anywhere between scorpionfish and grouper.

     

    I don't think I was doing too badly! Thanks Luiz.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  6. You can always reference DeLoach's book...clearly shows both fishes in 2 variations as long spine waspfish B)

     

    JB

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.