Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Planete Mers book

Started by elbuzo ·

  • 39Posts
  • 39Replies

Read-only discussion

Planete Mers book

39 posts
  1. Looks like film to me, probably Provia, or maybe Velvia 100. The sunburst. Also, blues like that don't exist in the digital world, or in nature for that matter. Beautiful photos. I like the whale shots and the garden eels best. The blue shark (if that's what it is) is amazing, but I wonder what it would have looked like with rear curtain flash.

     

    Frogfish

  2. Hi Fishboy,

     

    The dive shop was actually called 'The diveshop' Its in Puerto del Carmen' and run by a couple of old friends of mine; Mick and Ingrid. Two very nice and very, very helpful people. I cannot remember which site but i only did two 'The reef' and 'The blue hole'.. The eels (if a can remember) were at the deepest level of one at about 25-30m. On a flat seabed as far as you could see. I remember saying they were a photographers dream in Micronesia just like Cuttlefish. But over here they were everywhere (only if i new i would have spent more time with them).

     

    Their e-mail is: info@thediveshoplanzarote.com Or Website: thediveshoplanzarote.com

     

    Just say Dean the 'Um-El-Faroud' videoographer recommended them and hopefully they won't put the phone down !!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. Thanks DeanB

     

    I'll give them a try and mention your name.

  4. I have Planet Mers too, ordered from Amazon.fr. My book was competing at the Antibes Festival but didn’t have a chance near this one.

    The images are excellent. My copy of Planet Mers didn’t seems to have any printing problems that was reported earlier. Color shifts may occurs when there is a big production, but you must have 2 books side by side (ie. The first one printed and the last one) to notice the difference. Any major color shift should be noticed by the quality control team. But it is still possible that Buzo may have a “rebel†copy. I don’t think people would give a gold medal at Antibes Festival for a poorly printed book.

     

    The most fascinating images where the Close up wide angle. The sharpness from corner to corner is very good. I guess that he was using a RS with the 13mm.

    Anyone can confirm that??

     

    I recommend his book, even if it is expensive.

  5. The most fascinating images where the Close up wide angle. The sharpness from corner to corner is very good. I guess that he was using a RS with the 13mm.

    Anyone can confirm that??

     

    Alex, is mssr. Ballesta a digital photog? Those images are incredible!

     

    No all shot on film. But he says he does work hard on certain images in Photoshop. He told me he has 7 Nikonos RS cameras - and yes the 13mm is a regular feature. We had a chat about the D2X, which I was extolling the virtues of. But I doubt he will change over completely for a while because he said he told me it would cost too much to completelty replace all his film gear. I agreed with him. It is not as if there is anything wrong with his images now. If it ain't broke...

     

    Alex

  6. Giles, its a blue, definitely not the Limbatus....

     

    I agree, the blue is the only one that has that long pointed snout and the long pectoral fins.

     

    I've just ordered my copy!

     

    Luiz

  7. But it is still possible that Buzo may have a “rebel†copy. I don’t think people would give a gold medal at Antibes Festival for a poorly printed book.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     

     

    Marcelo

     

    That is exactly my conclusion .

     

    My copy have some problems mostly with the blues that turns in to ugly magenta .

     

    I will buy a second book when i have the chance .

     

    I have similar problems with the yellows printing a small book about caves 2 years ago . You can see some small pics at www.espeleobuceo.org

     

    By the way what is your book about ? and where we can take a look.

     

    Saludos

     

    El buzo

  8. I am very curious about the blue shark motion blurriness. How exactly would you achieve something like that. I know nothing about Nikonos RS or film SLR for that matter. First I thought could it be rear curtain sync that gave it that look or something similar. Could somebody share some insight with me on this technique?

  9. The shark has a bit of front curtain synch blur. Rear curtain is actually a pain with the RS as stupidly the switch is inside the "housing" and not accessible during the dive.

     

    Alex

  10. This book looks pretty great.

     

    I don't know if you have checked out http://www.planete-mers.fr.

     

    From US is amazon france really the only way to go for ordering it?

  11. Talking of motion blur - what do people prefer front curtain or rear curtain? Personally I'm a rear man B)

  12. Mine finally arrived! Oh, this was just the perfect cure for my lack of inspiration! What a BEAUTIFUL book! I had already almost given up hope on finding some new uw photography that would truly feel "new" and not fit the same old mold, but this is it! This is different! Gosh, I wonder how he earth he had the TIME to come up with such an extensive collection of such extraordinary images... the guy doesn't look old. I Love the giant octo w diver, the bluewhale, the underice arctic pics... Wow!

    Edited by Marjo
  13. Hi Buzo,

     

    My book is about Fernando de Noronha, an island on the northeast coast of Brazil. Unfortunately it’s not available outside Brazil yet.

     

    I am trying to find a way to make it available internationally in a way that the cost of shipping is no bigger than the actual cost of the book. :D

     

    Best regards,

     

    Marcelo.

  14. Why Mr Fishboy,

     

    You are a card :D:P

     

    I love those little ditties during conversational topics...I said ditties rude boy... ;)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  15. The website does show an English version, called "Seas Planet" (at the end of the English-language movie). I'll look for the French version next week.

  16. Few more frames from this book you can find at iucn.org

    Its also mention there that the English version is on the pipeline.

    Edited by Arnon_Ayal
  17. Haven't looked at this thread in a while.....

     

    Dean...i love you!!! :lol:

  18. Hi Mikey :lol:

     

    I'm so glad, as I feel the same way to :lol:

     

    Catch you later honey bunny :lol:

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean ( hot legs) B

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.