Im in the market for a new laptop and was looking at several models and manufacturers. So much to choose from. Help me out with this please. I know that I need a large Hard Drive at least 80 GB. I also plan on using external HD's for the trips etc so I really dont think I need a larger one. I am thinking I will need at least 1 GB of Ram for Photoshop tp perform effieciently. A card reader Port and DVD/CD Rom and about 5 USB ports. I was looking at FRYS and they had a Fujitsu (N3410-703) that everyone spoke highly of that offered all this (except the RAM, it had 512 but was upgradable to 2GB) and the display was out of this world. Much better than a the HP or Sonys etc in my opinion. Cost around $1150.00 with $100.00 rebate. Very similar in price to the HP and Sonys. This was also a very light laptop as well. Weight is always an issue these days. I wasnt that familiar with the Fujitsu Brand though and am always leary of that sort of thing. The Sales reps told me that is has the least amount of repairs compared to Dell, HP, Sony etc. They also said that allot of the hospitals are giving the Fujitsu's to their Doctors now. I was really impressed with this laptop for the money. Anyone had an experience with this Brand or can recommend one and what am I missing thst I should be looking for in one?
Cheers,
Chuck
I have a Fujitsu S6231 and love it (13" screen, 4 pounds with the DVD burner installed). Great build quality and works like a charm. Cost me more than a Dell, but I don't mind. Fujitsu isn't all that well known in the US, but their quality is about as good as you will see. I'm not all that familiar with the "N" series, but if you do decide to get a Fujitsu, also check out www.portableone.com. They are a great online retailer and specialize in Fujitsus as well as their own house brand, which are re-branded and customized Asus machines. I ordered from them and was very pleased with their customer service and the quality of their work. When I called them, a real person answered the phone and very patiently answered my questions. At the moment, they are offering the N3410 for $1149 with a free upgrade to the 8-cell battery. If you plan on doing much Photoshopping with it, you might also consider upgrading the hard drive to something a little zippier than the stock 4200rpm one. PortableOne offers a few other faster hard drives and this will boost your performance more than extra RAM, though I'd recommend getting at least 1GB. Note also that the N3410 uses dual channel memory so you'll need to match memory in the two slots to get the most bang for your buck (if you are at all technically competent, adding memory yourself is quite easy). Also spend the extra $100 and get the dual-layer DVD burner.
Hi Chuck, take a look at this recent topic for lots of suggestions:
I have used a voodoo m360 for the past 2 years without a problwm. it weighs in at 6.5 pounds, dothan centrino 2.1 GHz (recently upgraded from the stock 1.7 binas) 1 GB ram, 80 GB hitacci 7200 rpm hard drive. check out voodoopc.com. for current models.
Thanks! Great input! I really like the Fujitsu. Im leaning that way I think.. I have had some probs with Dell's on my job so Im not wanting to with go one of those again.
The Fujitsu screen is unsurpassed so far in my opinion.