We recently purchased a 12" Apple iBook and I'm very happy with it.
We got an 80GB drive and 1.5GB RAM, which makes CS2 very happy. It actually runs considerably better than my desktop system (which admittedly is an ancient AMD1800). Nikon Capture is poorly programmed (very poor memory usage) and used to run like a dog until I downloaded the updated 4.3.1 (have you got the update Luiz?). It now handles D70 files with ease (although I haven’t tried D2X files).
The battery life of the Apples is fantastic and they weigh about the same as the most lightweight PCs. You can get a DVD burner in any of the Powerbooks and they have all the ports you need. If you’re really into hardcore gaming, then you might find a PC based book serves you better.
I use PCs at work and until now, all my home systems have been PC-based (either Intel or AMD). I hadn’t really considered Mac previously because they always seemed so expensive in comparison to their PC counterparts.
However, after taking a considered look at the specs of several comparable machines and also considering the almost essential PC extras like ongoing subscriptions to antivirus, antispy, antimalware etc., etc., and the Mac bundled software, the price difference evaporated fairly quickly.
I was pretty tired of the constant virus risks. Part of my rational for considering Mac, was wanting to access the net while on the road and not wanting to worry about virus and other system security issues. I find that with my PC I’m forever making little tweaks to the system to ensure it is well protected from attacks and I didn’t want to have waste time with that on a trip. With the Mac, there is no need to bother.
Whilst I can understand William’s point about useability (and it was initially a significant concern of mine), I think that the point is essentially moot. Superficially, the layout of OS X and XP is similar enough that anyone familiar with one system would find it relatively simple to jump on the other and do what they needed to do. Programs like CS2, Capture and Firefox are essentially identical on both systems. Even for more advanced functions, I found that it only really took a day or so of “playing†to learn how to alter things like System Preferences (hey I’m a bit Type A) and pick up all the keyboard shortcuts (essentially replace Control with the “Apple†key).
The one thing that I have noticed with the Mac system, as compared to the PC, is that just about everything you need is already included. I no longer need to jump on the net and download some shareware/freeware of questionable origin to perform tasks.
For photographers, one feature of “Tiger†(the newest version of OS X) that I have completely fallen in love with is Spotlight. I label most of the images I shoot with IPTC information such as location and a short description. On a recent trip I shot several thousand images and then needed to locate some shots with dogs in them for a client. I typed “dog†into Spotlight and within a second or two had three or four images in the window with dogs in them. Had I tried to find these from memory or just about any other method…well, there is no way it would have been as fast. Now I know XP has a search function, but if you set it to search within files – well – be prepared to go make a coffee before you even get your first hit. The best analogy I have for Spotlight is that it’s like Googling your hard drive.
Wow, I realise I’ve gone on a bit now, but I think it is important to explain some of the reasons why I chose the system I use in the hope that it might help you make a decision.
I’m sure any of the systems people have recommended will serve you well. Just trying to help you make an informed choice.