I don't like to kick someone when they're down but it sounds like new regulations put in place by the Cozumel Marine Park are definitely anti-photographer.
Christi fom BlueXTC wrote:What distances are we required to maintain from the reefs?
1.5 to 3 meters (3 to 10 feet - same as it was before)
Divemasters have the authority, responsibility, and obligation to their discretion with regards to divers in their groups. If a diver is damaging the reef, touching the reef, not practicing proper buoyancy control, the divemaster CAN suspend that divers privileges and/or require them to stay further away from the reef.
Are we allowed to dive swim-throughs?
YES, but the same divemaster responsibilities and discretions apply. Divers that do not have proper buoyancy control WILL NOT be taken through swim throughs. This is really the same as before.
Are cameras permitted?
YES. Again, the divemaster has the authority to restrict camera use for those divers/photographers who do not have proper buoyancy control, touch the reef, rest body parts on the reef to get their shot, etc.
Here is one catch, and I actually agree with it. Photographers must be in the site of the divemaster while taking photos. WHY? Because the DM is responsible for making sure that the photographer does not touch the reef. I have seen this more times than I care to count...photographers hang at the back, and when they think no one is looking, they do one of the above things. Again, this is a temporary restriction
I also read that divers with cameras would be required to demonstrate proper buoyancy on a dive before they would be allowed to take a camera. All sensible divers want to protect the environment but it sounds like they're placing the responsibility for hurricane damage on u/w photographers. I think that they would be encouraging ALL divers to return. Guess not.