Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

What is on your bookshelf

Started by diveh2o ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

What is on your bookshelf

26 posts
  1. Stan Waterman's autobiography Sea Salt is out and looks great from the first few pages i have read. It is edited by Ned Deloach, author of the Reef Fish ID books and has a forward by Peter Benchley.

     

    I know they say don't judge a book by its cover, but I guess its an exception when the book is about a photographer because the cover has some pretty cool shots and certainly makes the book inviting to read.

     

    On the nikonians website www.nikonians.org they have started up a number of online "bookshelves" just with books about photography. i thought it would be cool to have a similar thing, perhaps one for reference books (i.e. fish id) and one for pleasure reading (i.e. Sea Salt) in addition to a few documentary movies.

     

    Heres a few just from my bookshelf:

     

    Reference:

    Reef Fish ID books - Ned Delach, Paul Humann

    Dolphins - Chris Catton

    Sea Turtles - James R. Spotila

    Best Dive Sites of the World - Trainito

    Underwate world - Jacques cousteau

     

    Literature/short story collections:

    Sea Salt - Stan Waterman

    Travels - Michael Chriton

    Down Time - Kittrell

    Billy Budd - Herman Melville

    Islands in the Stream - Hemingway

     

     

    Documentaries:

    Coral Reef Adventure- filmed by Howard and Michele Hall in Fiji

    Island of the Sharks - filmed by Halls at Cocos Island

    Shark Mountain - filmed by Halls at Cocos island

     

     

    Just an idea by a new member.... feel free to shoot it down.

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. Great idea Roger. I have changed the title of this discussion so more people are attracted to it.

     

    Here are some of my favourites:

     

    General Lit:

    The Enchanted Braid - Osha Gray Davidson

    Neutral Buoyancy - Tim Ecott

     

    Reference:

    Reef Fish Behavior - Ned DeLoach

    Coral reef animals of the Indo Pacific - Gosliner, Behrens and someone else

    Reef Fish Ecology Vols 1 & 2 - Editor Peter Sale

     

    Documentaries:

    Reef Encounter - Peter Scoones (BBC documentary on Sipadan)

     

    Alex

  3. It has nothing to do with diving but Rod MacDonald's Into the Abyss is a fantastic and gripping read. Well worth a Christmas present for any dive nut!

     

    Other than that (a little off topic this) I rewatched Blue Planet over the weekend and it is fantastic.

  4. Oooh I am going to change it up I don't have many if any UW related books but I do think I have an awesome selection. Now I am doing this from memory as my books are in the UK as I didn't want to risk them in another hurricane so.

     

    Photo ID books:

    Reef Coral ID Caribbean

    Reef Creature ID Caribbean

    Reef Fish ID Caribbean

     

    Just Amazing Books:

    2880465753.02._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg 186450207X.02._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg 1931933847.02._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg079226164X.02._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg 0715319043.01._OU02._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

     

    Non Photo but fun:

    0563487461.01._OU02._PE40_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg 087833243X.01._OU02._PE28_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

     

    Books I want:

    0500976457.02._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg 1903684374.02._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg 3829009089.02._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

     

    David Doubilets Books with National Geographic I am assuming are quite good as the reject photos he showed to us down here in Cayman were ok. I have seen his 'Light Water Time' and the 'Light in the Sea' and they also have some nice work but I am not his greatest fan so would never buy them.

     

    [all images hotlinked and linked to www.amazon.co.uk]

     

    I probably have some others but these are by far the best that I have and want .. underwater type books on or just of photos have never really interested me .. I want to see that Planete Mers or whatever it is called .. generally I find there are a few good images and the rest are just filling to make a book and sell some of them to make money, although I am sure there are some nice ones out there .. just never found one to catch my attention.

    Edited by digitallywet
  5. I don't have a bookshelf...i am transient so don't want to own books other than novels that i pass on when done.

     

    50 lb weight limits and ooodles of photo/video gear mean i don't own squat other than that! Tis a bit tiresome really. I have never owned my own TV to tell you the truth...

     

    BUT...i get to dive with mantas....:(

  6. Thanks Alex for fixing the topic title.

     

    Mike.. I think you've got your priorities in line. Id take Mantas over books any day, but I guess while Im stuck in Connecticut I might as well read about where I wish i was...

     

    To stray from the diving world....

     

    Anything by Edward Abbey is great for anyone who loves the outdoors. He is a pretty hard-core environmentalist.

     

    Robert Young Pelton and Sir Ranulph Fiennes I would argue are the most extraordinary exploreres of modern times (Guiness put Fiennes as #1) and they both have some pretty great books. Pelton's The Worlds Most Dangerous Places is required reading of the CIA.

     

    Also the Sea Wolf by Jack London

  7. My favorites photo books are Howard Hall's succesfull U.W. Phtoography and Norbert Wu's How to shphotograph U.W. Norbert really does everything to perfection his book is awsome.

     

    My favorite diving book is "Diving to a flash of Gold" by Martin Meylach it is an awsome book on treasure diving in the Fl Keys.

  8. For inspiration:

     

    Within a Rainbow Sea by Chris Newbert

    Water, Light, Time by David Doubilet

     

     

    I.D. All DeLoach and Human books

     

    What about Gotschall? I carry his books with me when on boats.

     

    Joe

  9. Im doing some research on a paper I am writing on Shellfish Aquaculture (I am actually sitting in the library with books and notes open)...

     

    and I came across a book called "Oceans" a Visual Guide by Stephen Hutchinson and Lawrence E. Hawkins.

     

    Its really cool... It talks about everything from the history of ocean exploration to ocean life, the dep ocean, coral reefs, and the impact that humans have on it icluding a huge "factfile" with all sorts of depths of different regions and areas of seas and ocans and basins and volume.... its pretty amazing.

     

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155407069...=books&v=glance

     

    Also, as for documentaries Id have to add the Life of Mammals by David Attenborough. ITs four disks, one of them being marine mammals.

     

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/069111324...glance&n=283155

     

    Also, Howard and Michele Hall are working on a new documentary. They just returned from British Columbia, the last of seven trips for the film which includes: Humboldt Squid in Sea of Cortez, mola molas near catalina island, jellyfish in monterey, sea turtles in hawaii, sand tigers in North Carolina, coral in the bahamas, and octopus in British Clumbia.

     

    It is set to come out in IMAX in March.

     

    http://www.howardhall.com/currentpro.html

  10. I was wondering how much an original 1st edition of this book would cost, well, check this out:

     

    On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, by Charles Darwin

     

    Yes, almost US$170,000!! There are a bunch of cheap ($5) paperback versions around. I have the second edition, which I bought used for about $50.

     

    The reef fish behavior and reproduction books by Ronald Thresher are very good too, great scientific content, but old and hard to find. Humann's series is a must have. I also have a bunch of Jack Randall's fish guides. The usual photography books already mentioned, and Planet Mers on order.

     

    Other than that, a bunch of evolution and biology books. British author Richard Dawkins is really inspiring.

  11. Hi All,

     

    Great voyeur thread. Can we have webcams next. :P (sorry my fetish)

     

    Books:

     

    1, Dive atlas of the world - illustrated guide of the best divesites of the world.

    2, Out of the blue - by the late Colin Bateman. Fantastic picture book with a sad story.

    3, Life on earth - Life of mammals - the living planet - BBC.

    4, Careers in wildlife filmmaking - Piers Warren.

    5, Sharkwatchers handbook - Mark Carwardine.

    6, The dive sites of Malta, Gozo and Comino - Lawson Wood.

    7, Essential guideto underwater video - Jim Church.

     

    Video:

     

    Life in the freezer - the Blue planet - Great wildlife moments - life of mammmals - Trials of life - Deep Blue - BBC.

     

    Caribbean wreck heaven - John McIntrye.

     

    Various Adult entertainment features. B) :D:o

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  12. Oh I forgot: DVD video

     

    Um-El-Faroud..From Tragedy to Tourism..By Dean (thats me) Burman.

     

    A facsinating insight into a sunken oil-tanker thats now giving a home and refuge to marine life as an artificial reef. Off the Island of Malta...Amazing !!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  13. It is a good list, keep them coming.

     

    Alex

  14. Is there a way we could put these all into a master list that would be the "wetpixel library"

  15. Hi Roger,

     

    Love the name of your residence 'Muttontown' I know a few Ladies (?) that could hail from there..

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  16. Wide Angle - National Geographic Greatest Places - Ferdinand Protzman

     

    Just got this book. It has NG pictures from 12 different regions and a range of time periods. only minimal doubilet underwater, but still some great photographs.

     

    I really like it, but can't say i am terribly impressed. These are great pictures, but nothing really breathtaking.

    Edited by diveh2o
  17. Great post, I'm ordering two books from the lists tonight.

     

    Magazines:

    Ocean Realm

    Surfers Journal

     

    Picture Books

    Within a Rainbowed Sea - Christopher Newbert

    Splendors of the Seas - Norbert Wu

    Coral Reefs - Roger Steene

    The Coral Reef at Night - Levine/Rotman

     

    Educational Books

    Sharks - John Stevens

    Introduction to Marine Biology - Karleskint

    An Introduction to the Biology of Marine Life - James Sumich

     

    Field Guides

    Peterson

    Humann

    Audubon

     

    Photography

    The Photographers Handbook - John Hedgecoe

    Essential Guide to Composition - Jim Church

     

    Cousteau

    The Shark

    Diving for Sunken Treasure

     

    Miscellaneous

    Neutral Buoyancy - Tim Ecott

    Assorted National Geographics

  18. Some of my all time favorite ocean books are=

    Ps- these are not picture books but great reading

     

    Giant Bluefin by Douglas Whynott

    Hungry Ocean by Linda Greenlaw

    Clear the Bridge by Richard O'kane

    Waves and Beaches by willard Bascom

    The last Dive

    Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

     

    Enjoy its a long winter

    Mark

  19. Our library:

     

    magazines:

    Asian Diver

    Fathoms

    Australasian Scuba Diver

     

    Coffee table books

    Within A Rainbowed Sea

    Silent Symphony

    Secrets of the Ocean Realm

    My Underwater Photo Journey

    Water Light Time

    Realm of the Pygmy Seahorse

     

    ID books

    All Rudy Kuiter books

    All Debelius books

    Reef Fish Pacific

    Reef Fish Caribbean (3)

    Reef Fish Galapagos

    Reef Fish Behavior (caribbean)

    Nudibranch Behavior

    Coral Reef Animals

    Reef Life

    Underwater Malaysia Macro Life

    World Atlas of Coral Reefs

    Reef Fishes Volume 1

    1001 Nudibranchs

    Opisthobranchs of Bali and Indonesia

    Field Guide to the Seaslugs of Tropical Eastern Pacific

    Marine Flatworms

    Soft Corals and Sea Fans

    Fabulous Flatworms (DVD)

     

    Photography books

    All Ansel Adams books

    All Jim Church books

    several John Hedgecoe books

    Learning to See Creatively

    The Darkroom Handbook

    The Kodak Photo Guide

    The ASMP book

     

    And a few others that arent as relevant

     

    Cor

    Edited by cor
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.