Why does it upset SLR users if there were to be another type of camera as capable or more capable? Once upon a time their were LPs and film Nikons and now there are DVDs and dSLRs. The question is are "they" (P&S) pro quality and my answer is that "pro quality" is an ill defined concept to which at some point the majority of people will not care. Some might say that they are already pro quality.
Just as computer users no longer shop based on clock speed neither will camera folks shop based on MP in a few more years because they will ALL have so much resolution, DR and capability that the argument will be rendered moot and at which point, I have to ask, why would the dSLR format continue if there were cameras as fast and as capable in a different format, shape, foot print?
Will we be having this argument, which I guess it is, five years from now when the dSLR has 40MP and the whatever other class there is of camera has 38.5MP and both are fast as lightening with low noise and easy handling?
Why are so many stuck on a format that has largely been shaped by film heritage instead of breaking free at long last? Instead of a shutter, why not an e-gate or a on/off diode for the sensor instead of a mechanical light gate (shutter)? When an EVF can replicate and exceed the capability of an optical VF system, why stick to the optical system? Don't say well because of reliability, we left that behind when cameras went all electronic years ago even before digital. Cameras do not need shutters or mirrors or prisms anymore, they are simply evolutionary holdovers or soon will be.
Why should you have to keep changing lenses?---why not--I did--several times until I finally gave up. I was more a Leica RF shooter anyways though I owned two Nikonos and three Nikon SLRs and housings.
I don't understand why my belief, and that of many others, who prefer a smaller footprint that cameras will soon evolve that combine the best of both worlds (P&S and SLR) then challenges, insults, aggravates SLR users. It is as if there is a need, that "snob" appeal to justify owning the systems. If there is some need to believe that having a SLR makes or defines a photographer as being real or more serious than some user with a pinhole camera, I guess so.
I have a friend who said cloning was impossible because God said so, I looked at him and said I am not sure what God said in that regard but do not box yourself into a corner that will cause you (him) to question your faith, well, cloning is old news now.
After now having sold off thousands of dollars of film equipment, I feel free, no longer married to a format or a pile of lenses. Today's P&S give me 90% of what I want and in a few years or less there will be new alternatives that fulfill the "human" requirement beyond which, this argument is DEAD. If it makes one feel better, I do not think the SLR will go away, I just think they will move further upscale as other forms of equipment push them in that direction much as large format has done today.