There is an old adage in oceanography about scientific instruments that goes don't put it into the ocean unless you are prepared to loose it. And I think a similar mentality exists amongst underwater photographers. Don't take a camera below the waves unless you can afford to flood it.
So it seemed a good oppurtunity to start a general discussion where people can post there experiences of floods. From my own observations and experience on dive boats nearly all the floods I see are user error. And I hope that this discussion will not only provided some amusing stories, but also hopefully allow others to benefit from our mistakes.
Fortunately (well unfortunately for the benefit of this thread) I have never flooded a SLR (digital or film), but I have flooded a Nikonos. I nearly flooded my D2X in the pool earlier this year. My Hasselblad was the main camera for the shoot, but I had taken the D2X along to use to check the lighting and to take a few general shots of the model setup. Anyway in my haste to prepare two housings I did not pay enough attention to closing the D2X housing and as soon as I took it in the water a few drops started to run into the housing. Thankfully I was checking the housing as I decended, saw the problem and leap from the water (in full dive kit), straight out and over the side of the pool with the athletic agility of dolphin! Thankfully the camera is weather sealed and it has completed many dives in the Red Sea, Bali and Cayman since then!
Anyway I am sure there are some much better stories out there. So lets hear them!
Alex