Thanks for answering everybody!
Yes James, I grew up in California and took the screen name seagrant (cause of my name), but I didn't bankroll your research!!
And thanks for the welcome! BTW, FL Gardens is one of my fav places to dive in the whole world!! Not just cause we got to swim with a whale shark there for 2 hours once, but all the big and unusual little guys, just fascinating diversity and mantas everytime I've been out there. I heard it was impacted pretty bad by Wilma and my heart was made sick at that news. It is a resilient area though.
Rocha, I also was surprised to hear the population est at 1 million. This is reliable, my Dive Safety Officer from the Florida Aquarium, Tampa, was on that recent survey trip - I was green with envy, would have loved to have gone, but since I'm not tech trained I wasn't even a candidate. You know they did transcets down on hard bottom with one diver going one way, one going opposite and came up with as many as 60 lionfish on one transcet! Sometimes it was just 2 or 3, but you know to get 60 in one transect the population has to be dense. I'm told they seem to hunt in "packs". Of course they also surveyed wrecks that had populations. I believe he said that last year when he was on one of the surveys they removed lionfish from 3 deep wrecks and this year 2 of the wrecks were fully repopulated with large individuals, but one was still lionfish free.
Yes, unfortunately it wasn't just one that was as big as a lunch tray, I'm told there were a lot that size. I saw pics of specimens and there were live captures also, but the big ones are harder to return to the surface safely from those depths. They are eating our little wrasses, our anthias, etc., food that grouper, etc. normally eat. So it is a great concern. I think the website has a lot more data and a daily, interesting blow by blow account. No one is jumping to conclusions now but it doesn't sound good. I'm not a gloom and doom person and I've always been so proud that our US waters are not awfully fished-out like many areas of the planet, but this lionfish invasion can't be good. Too bad sand tigers don't have a taste for them??? Maybe it will develop?? 
Good news is right now in Florida we don't have that many, they seemed to have mostly followed the gulf stream north, and then whatever other loop it is taking to send them to Bahamas. But again most reside very deep in the gulf stream so they could go by undetected, who knows. I don't want to jump to conclusions.
I'm certainly keeping an eye out for them in Florida here, also they haven't entered the Gulf of Mexico as far as I know. So reported sightings will be very, very important in the future to determine where they are spreading.
Yes, unfortunately lots of exotics, especially on the East Coast of Florida and some in the Keys. I've seen sailfin tang there pretty regularly, south of West Palm, and there are exotic angelfishes, etc. REEF along with the Florida Aquarium removed some orbicular batfish from Molasses Reef in Key Largo (they are in the Florida Aquairum and Boston Aquariums now), but I think they may have missed one? That was a worry cause they might mate with our atlantic spadefish. Yes, word, posters and education is out saying "don't" release in the ocean. At this point sighting data and pics are most important. What I do hate is when vigilantes go out and spear the poor things on their own, collection is a much better option unless something officially comes down as far as the lionfish are concerned, there are so many now, vigilante measures are fruitless in my opinion, complete data is much more valuable. Also sometimes I hate then to label any fish "exotic" cause I'm afraid some uneducated person will go out and kill the thing (that has been going on). We do have a lot of neat stuff in the Atlantic and Gulf here that people are not aware of and are actually native!!
Anyway, I've had my say, report, report, report, Thanks, C <_<