I clicked on that link (from Scubed) and to my surprise....I was on that trip! Guess I might as well fill you in. The diver was Stephen Wong, a photographer from Hong Kong. In late 2001, he joined our group of freedive spearfisherman on a trip to the Coral Sea in hopes of getting some photos of tigers.
He was right to sign on with a group of bluewater hunters. We usually see tigers daily while hunting tuna. Stephen was used to scuba diving but we talked him into giving freediving a try for getting close to the tiger sharks. He took to freediving quite well and was doing dives to 60 feet before long.
After dripping a little bit of tuna oil into the water and setting a few fish carcasses on the bottom, we eventually had a very large tiger shark show up. Stephen started freediving down and getting pictures. This shark was the fattest tiger I have ever seen. The thing looked pregnant it was so fat.
After several freedives to the bottom, Stephen started for the surface. The shark, which seemed to ignore him previously, suddenly took notice. In the film, Stephen does not notice the shark turning at him at first. When you see Stephen start to swim like crazy.....that is when he sees the tiger shark coming at him!
The cameraman was Andy Ruddock, a long time champion Australian freediver with a typically Australian sense of humor. He never missed a second of the encounter with the video camera and frankly, I think he secretly hoped to get some "more exciting" footage!
Most of my tiger shark encounters have been while bluewater hunting. I have never lost a tuna to a tiger but some of my buddies have. One time, I put the tuna gun down and grabbed my digital camera to get some shots of a 14 foot tiger shark cruising over the bottom of a reef. I never felt comfortable with only a camera between me and the tiger shark. I have never been chased out of the water by a tiger but one tried to eat a friend of mine freediving in Mexico.
Joe Tobin