Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

SOS

Started by Leslie ·

  • 29Posts
  • 29Replies

Read-only discussion

SOS

29 posts
  1. Hi everyone -- I'm stuck at home for another 2-3 weeks and I'm already bored. Now would be a great time to post all those mystery critter shots you've been wondering about. I can't promise ids on everything (there's so much I don't know!) but at least I've got loads to time to search through my references & web surf.

    Many thanks, Leslie

  2. I can't believe it, but I dont have any worms or crustacions for you leslie. Has been ages since I have shot macro. I have a few fish and a two corallimophs if you're interested.

    Edited by acroporas
  3. Fish & corallimorphs... two groups I leave to others! But thanks for looking. :huh::huh:

  4. Leslie,

     

    I was just going through the raw outtake shots from last year's Raja Empat trip and found a nice invert you might like. I've got an idea about the family, but that's it.

     

    I need to process it before I can post it to ask you what it is, but I'll try to do that in the next couple of days. Don't want you feeling under-utilized - I know you'll never feel under-appreciated!

     

    Meanwhile, I might be passing through LA in April next year, spending a few days visiting family. Will you be around? Can I buy you a cup of coffee?

     

    Frogfish

  5. Hi Leslie,

     

    YOU might guess this one, but most divers will not know what this is. I have been diving for 28 years (and I'm only 44 :huh: ) and I have only come across this animal one time (or so I thought). According to biologist Greg Jensen, author of the Pisces book "Crabs and Shrimps", this is a very rare shot. Most photos of this animal are when they are dead because they are next to impossible to get close enough to shoot. In this case, I pissed in my wetsuit 2-3 times sitting, waiting, laying low on the bottom, breathing as silently as I could in 15 feet of water. About 70 minutes later, I earned my trust and was able to get this shot. Greg Jensen now uses it in his classes at Washington State.

     

    Anyone care to take a guess? It was shot in California at one of the Channel Islands.

     

    I'll answer the "or so I thought" later.

     

    Joe

    post-1513-1134226047_thumb.jpg

  6. hey, it looks like a spiny molecrab ! Blepharipoda occidentalis

     

    we got a similar species, Emerita cf. analoga, on the Pacific coast of Panama

     

    it was caught by a heron right in front of me, and I was chasing the latter along the shore until it dropped its prey, I know I know it's animal harrassment .. but it's also an "alternative" collecting method :huh:

     

    the crab ded a few hours later, look at the whole in the carapace, precisely in the middle where the heart is, the heron was incredibly precise !

     

    Art

     

     

     

     

     

     

    post-1504-1134239852_thumb.jpg

  7. we also collected albuneids, probably Lepidopa sp., on the Caribbean side of Panama, with yabby pumps

     

    here is one of them

     

    these animals are very odd ..

     

    cheers

     

    Artpost-1504-1134240211_thumb.jpg

  8. They make great bait for surfishing though Art - especially the just-molted ones. :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. Hi Leslie

     

    Here's one for you - a worm from Kilkieran Bay, west coast of Ireland!

    post-1587-1134247778_thumb.jpg

  10. Robert, please post away, I love your shots from RA & Komodo! April would be great for a visit - I'll even buy you dinner. The Los Angeles UW Photographic Society meets at my museum (I'm the sponsor) on the 3rd wednesday of every month. I'm sure they've love it if the timing worked out & you could attend. Would you like to do a slide show for us? Maybe talk about your current work?

     

    Joe, Art took the names right out of my mouth. There's not much he doesn't know about all things crabby! I assume it's B. occidentalis since it's subtidal?

  11. Hi Leslie

    Here's one for you - a worm from Kilkieran Bay, west coast of Ireland!

     

    Lovely worm, Paul! It's a Megalomma, a genus that unique among sabellids for having compound eyes on the tips of the radioles (the gill branches) and your shot shows them beautifully. What I find really interesting is how the dorsalmost pair of eyes - which are always the largest - are held straight up whereas the other eyes are held down. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the UK fauna & can't do a species id without a specimen.

    Thanks for posting---

    post-2918-1134248942_thumb.jpg

  12. Hi Leslie, this is from La Palma, Canary Isl. can you tell me what it is?

    Besten Dank

    Ted

    post-5424-1134251345_thumb.jpg

  13. That's easy, it is a fire worm (genus Hermodice, right Leslie?), don't touch it! What I don't know is if this is the same species as the one that is in the Caribbean.

    Edited by Rocha
  14. Luiz is right, it's the common coral-eating fireworm Hermodice carunculata. Originally this form was considered a separate species called Hermodice nigrolineata, named for the black lines running across the middle of each segment, but someone decided it was just a color variation of H. carunculata. I think it's definitely the prettiest of all the color variations and a really nice picture.

     

    Currently H. carunculata is thought to be circum-tropical (= worldwide in the tropics). It would be a good project for some student to do DNA analysis on specimens from various locations to see if they really do belong to a single species.

    thanks!

    Edited by Leslie
  15. Currently H. carunculata is thought to be circum-tropical (= worldwide in the tropics).  It would be a good project for some student to do DNA analysis on specimens from various locations to see if they really do belong to a single species.

    thanks!

     

    A friend of mine, Paulo Paiva, from Brazil is doing it! He is at the University of Rio de Janeiro and works in collaboration with Antonio Sole-Cava.

     

    Luiz

  16. Rachel C mentioned that he was working on geminate species pairs. I'm especially glad to hear that he's including this one. I'll be even happier if H. nigrolineata turns out to be a valid species affter all.

  17. Leslie,

     

    Here you are. Some sort of opistobranch, I would have thought, but which one? The twin body bulges look a bit strange too.

     

    I'll email you with details closer to April - I'll be going back to Raja Empat in January, for three weeks, and yes, I do take requests!

     

    Frogfish

    post-1236-1134305860_thumb.jpg

  18. Leslie & all,

     

    You are correct, my shot is of a spiney mole crab. I have seen them and held them many times over the years by digging my hands in the surf zone. But to see them actively living in the sand while diving was a treat.

     

    Joe

  19. Leslie,

    Here you are.  Some sort of opistobranch, I would have thought, but which one?  The twin body bulges look a bit strange too.

    I'll email you with details closer to April - I'll be going back to Raja Empat in January, for three weeks, and yes, I do take requests!

    Frogfish

     

    Oh ho, this guy! He sure fools a lot of people. It's a benthic ctenophore, and it looks like the one calledd Coeloplana sp. 2 in Gosliner, Behrens, & Williams. Unlike the usual planktonic forms these guys are found in soft bottoms & on leather corals & seastars. The twin lobes carry the branched feeding tentacles typical of all ctenophores.

     

    Requests? Worms, worms, and more worms, of course! :D

  20. Leslie & all,

    You are correct, my shot is of a spiney mole crab.  I have seen them and held them many times over the years by digging my hands in the surf zone.  But to see them actively living in the sand while diving was a treat. 

    Joe

     

    that's really neat - I've never seen a live one. Only Emerita.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.