Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Removing Subal hotshoe pins

Started by Rocha ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing Subal hotshoe pins

24 posts
  1. Now that's a new one, so, if you switch the new subtronic TTL to manual it doesn't work well? This isn't supposed to happen, I don't think, but I guess it would solve your problem if you remove the ready light pin (there are no effects on TTL as far as I know, so you can just remove it and leave it out).

     

    yes, indeed, I think that was a problem recently when I was diving in Yap and Palau. I had another problem with one of the flash and the flash arm battery (Mike Veitch knows about it...) and therefore switched to manual shooting using one flash only. And sometimes, kind of erratic, my camera was kind of blocking (not firing, not reacting at all) until I switched off both the camera and the flash and after a minute or so it was ready again. But happened only sometimes...could not figure out what is was and was not aware that it might be the problem like described in this thread until I read yesterday this one again... so I will test again all kind of options next time diving (unfortunately not before April in the Bahamas with Jimmy...ha ha).

     

    And for Subal, I am not surprised that they don't know... but I will check with Subtronic and will let you know

  2. I have tested this recently during my red sea trip in june. the subtronic / subal can be switched underwater from TTL to manual power (the housing-internal connector is always on the TTL-socket) without cutting any cables.

  3. Now for the reverse issue. Ikelite just came out with a TTL cable for their flash units and Nikon attachments. To make this work you need to reinsert the pin that was taken out per earlier instructions.

     

    I am in the Galapagos, and it works fantastically. The TTL settings work outstandingly in a variety of challenging conditions. If you make this switch there is a single connection to the housing. Make sure you use the five pin plug.

  4. Now for the reverse issue. Ikelite just came out with a TTL cable for their flash units and Nikon attachments. To make this work you need to reinsert the pin that was taken out per earlier instructions.

     

    I am in the Galapagos, and it works fantastically. The TTL settings work outstandingly in a variety of challenging conditions. If you make this switch there is a single connection to the housing. Make sure you use the five pin plug.

     

    That's very good to know, I didn't know their new cable was in the market already. Please post some photos and maybe a quick review when you can!

     

    Luiz

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.