It is not often that I see fish here in Cayman that I don't know. But yesterday these guys swam passed. From a distance I thought that they were horse-eye jacks, because of their size and yellow tails. But when they got close it was clear that they weren't.
They were about 30-45cm long (1-1.5ft). And they were in a tight school of 20.
Sorry about the picture - just a grab shot for ID as they passed.
Alex
Theres been a few of these around in the last few months.
I assumed they were a sort of jack, although as always many are saying baby tuna.
we had some on cheeseburger a few weeks back.
we'd like to know what they are too ...
It is a Carangidae, Pseudocaranx dentex or White trevally. This circumtropical species is relatively common around reefs at some places but strangely it is never on reef fish ID books. Look here for more info and photos:
Ok, so your jack is Gnathanodon speciosus, the Golden trevally. Found in the entire Indian and Pacific oceans. There are plenty of photographs of juveniles of these guys, they are the ones that are usually found among tentacles of jellyfish. For more info look here: