Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

request to use images help

Started by alcina ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

request to use images help

18 posts
  1. How do you nicely tell someone that No, you aren't OK with them using your images in that manner?

     

    Specifically I have been asked for a mere 10 or 20 shots (LOL) so someone can make an album of his trip to Australia -dived here early in 05. Says it is for private use only.

     

    I'm not keen to supply these photos. DH says tell him it's $X per image if he wants them, but I wouldn't have a clue what would be fair to even suggest. And I know he just wants them for free.

     

    What do you suggest?

  2. In this particular situation, I can suggest 3 possible answers:

    1. "No, sorry, they're for my private use only."

     

    2. "Sure, I'll sell you an A4 print at US$50" (or whatever price you see fit, or size he/she wants).

     

    3. "Sure, I'll give you this 600x400 thumbnail sized image with my standard copyright notice in the corner".

     

    Just pick your favourite answer...

  3. I second the above. Giving out small thumbnail images w/ your large copyright notice in the corner is fine as they can't really resell them or use them for anything else. They get to enjoy the photo and you get to enjoy the word of mouth advertising.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Depends why you take the photos. If its for fun then supplying to someone who appreciates them may be an enjoyable part of underwater photography. If you are a professional photographer either supply the album yourself at a commercial price or say that you don't supply imges for such a use. In my experience few plumbers or other tradesmen come around for free but some DIYers do enjoy helping out on a job (and don't require payment although a drink may go down well). Same thing really!

  5. I completely agree with pgk. This is exactly the thought that came to my mind, it all depends on why you shoot. Now, if it was a company that approached you and asked to use pix for some commercial purpose, then the answer is easier, you can just say, sure, for $x, or "lets negotiate a suitable compensation or "not for sale". But if you are shooting for fun, not making the majority of your living on selling images and if the pictures in question are not likely to have publishing potential, and some friend asks for memories from a trip for a personal album, then sharing is a wonderful thing. You can always give some prints instead of digital files. For a "personal album" that might be really appreciated by a friend, and you wouldn't have to worry about the pictures being spread on the net. Of course, if for some reason you think that this guy might secretly want to sell or spread your pictures, or you just don't like him, then don't. But a little kindness along the road goes a long way and often leads to unexpected happy surprises further on, this is karma.

  6. Thanks for the ideas so far! All are things that have gone through my mind so it's good to know I am on the right track!

     

    FWIW I have never met this person and have no idea who it is...

  7. Hi Alcina,

     

    I have to agree with Matt and James. While there are a few ways to approach your situation, it seems like your gut instinct is telling you to say no, and that may be the way to go. There is nothing wrong with saying no, and while it maybe a dilemma now, once that word rolls off your tongue you will feel relieved. Having worked on live aboards for years, I have been in this type of situation many times before and it always bothered me. I have also witnessed crazy outcomes to similar situations. While most people are honest it boils down to how YOU feel about any potential consequences. I have seen people steal slides out of photopro's books to get specific images. I have seen the "good faith" words "just for private use" manipulated by selling other peoples images as prints for profit. I have a friend who discovered his copyrighted work (with his copyright on the image in the corner) photoshopped out of his images, and sold for a dive feature in Europe where the writer took the photo credits and was paid for them as well. The pathetic thing about it was you could still see the top half of my friends name in the photos since it was so badly photoshopped! My point is this, you never know what is going to happen and unless you don't care about what people do with those images you will be bothered by these requests forever.

    Personally, I would suggest selling a best of CD or prints only and make no exceptions. I sold my Best Of Images as a slideshow on DVD created with a simple program complete with transitions (that is the key) that doesn't allow people to extract single images off the disc for any purpose. While it may not completely satisfy the other guy, you feel good about not saying no, make a little money in the process, and also know your images are safe. Everybody wins!

    Anyway, as I said earlier most people are very honest and genuine in there requests, but a simple policy and good product will keep everyone smiling for a long time! I hope this helps you... :)

     

    Doug

  8. Doug -

     

    Which program did you use for the slideshow?

  9. Hi Kristin,

     

    I just used a program that came with my computer. It is called WinDVD, it is simple, easy to use and makes a nice finished product. Nice pics on your website by the way.

    Doug

  10. Alcina,

     

    You can also check out Proshow Gold from Photodex. It's very easy to use and works well.

     

    Cheers,

    Mat

  11. I too vote for the slideshow/movie option. On a MAC you can make pretty nice slide shows with music and transitions that unless someone is going to take a pic of the screen it would be tough to steal. Rather than assume that someone is going to be dishonest, I would suggest that being nice is not only its own reward but also is instructive to the person whom you are helping. What I would do is to pick my own version of the "best" pics and put them on a slideshow and send them to the guy. If he offers to pay for the media and shipping then so much better. I don't ever sell prints but the priest in our parish sometimes auctions some bigger prints off to parishoners to make some money for the church. In that case I think I can take a tax deduction for the price of the paper and maybe the ink; I only wish I could deduct the trips or the camera or the housings or the lenses or the strobes or ...

     

    Bill

  12. Try the slideshow route. I use ProShow ( I just purchased the low end version for about $25 online ).

     

    The slightly more expensive version will burn to DVD but my last show was about 120 pics and complete with soundtrack only was 40mB so fitted easy on a standard CD.

     

    www.photodex.com < usual disclaimer >

     

    Interface is quite easy and you can add a soundtrack and synch the slides to it - all in all probably the best $25 I have spent in quite a while.

     

    After your images are in the slideshow - sure they can be captured off of the screen but at a res that will not be a whole lot of use for anything but viewing on a pc.

     

    Now when I am asked for a copy of my pics I say 'sure' and send the whole show - most are chuffed to bits and those that may not be, thats tough.....

     

    You can also add a startup / splash screen with your web site and any other details.

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  13. In Europe a deliberate breach of copyright is a CRIMINAL offence under EU law. In one post a clear, deliberate breach was mentioned - this should be referred to the law enforcement authorities in the country where the images were published.

  14. To echo what others have said, sometimes it is a good thing to give a couple of smaller shots.

     

    Often when I dive (especially for a couple of days) with someone who is friendly, I will often say, hey I will take a couple of shots for you and email them 1/2 dozen or so 640 x 480s or something like that - does not have to be the best shots in the world, but often the thrill for someone who has not seen themselves underwater with a couple of extra pics really makes someone's day. Actually keep in ouch with many people after the trips and you will often find that they may want to buy bigger prints if you make them available (some of more "gallery" type stuff)

     

    Now of course this all goes by the wayside if you think they are gonna steal the stuff :)

  15. I get this question repeatedly on almost every trip that I take! The easy solution for me is to refer them to my website which will feature the images - they can enjoy them there. Whatever approach you choose, the important thing is that you are consistent - that way you won't have to rehash this dilemma every time someone poses the question. For me this is simple - 1)To small local businesses I contribute images in trade for product or services. 2) I donate images for sale by NPO schools and environmental orgs. 3) I happily give images to friends and family for personal use only. 4) I never give images to large non-local organizations, publications, or individuals with whom I am not comfortable.

     

    I find it easy to stick to these rules consistently, though they may sometimes be unpopular they are never unfair.

  16. alcina

     

    I was going to trough this process. After my last trip people , magazines and companies have bomb me with emails and ask about my photos

    I was really not sure how i hande this.

     

    Now is going better.. still some problems but anyway..

     

    What i do is follow.

     

    1. To friends and divers that I take photos I send them some (not all) off there photos with my copyrigt for personal viewing or for there personal webpage.. nothing else!!!

     

    The know that they can't crop or manipulate the images..

     

    2. People that write articles for a magazin I tell them that the magazin sould contact me . i give never high res files to privat persons..

     

    3. Those that ask me they need high res for make a print for the wall. I say I do the prints myself and send those.

     

    There is only one time that I have give images for free.. and it was for a very good friend that wrote a article for National geographics...

     

    many will, after you say that you whant to be paid, dont contact you again.. but thats O.K.

     

    Lambis

    Edited by motionsync
  17. This is a very interesting thread!

     

    Although relatively new to u/water photography, I am finding that I too am experiencing more of the 'nice pics, can I have a copy' situation, esp. on liveaboard trips.

     

    Now, I think I'm happy to go down the route Drew has suggested (640x480 images) - but I would also like to give out bigger images with a copyright embedded on them. However, I don't know how to put a copyright on my pics! I've got Photoshop CS - is there a simple instruction on how to do this on a group of images please?

     

    Thanks!

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.