Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Worm? ID

Started by Lndr ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Worm? ID

8 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I found this worm on a colonial ascidian yesterday. I have included a crop of the head (or at least the end facing in the forward direction!?)

     

    It was about 25 - 30mm long. Depth 15m, site The Nursey, Bowen Island, Jervis Bay, Australia.

     

    cheers

    Leander

    post-1321-1137366770_thumb.jpg

    post-1321-1137367098_thumb.jpg

    post-1321-1137367124_thumb.jpg

  2. Non-segmented white trash, looks like a nemertean. I'll let Nemertinator know.

  3. Sputter... @$%$^ Are we engaging in class... I mean phylum warfare? <_<

    Yes, it is a lovely nemertean, and that is its head. Best I can do is put it in a catch-all genus called Tetrastemma (four eyes). I don't have literature handy and am not sure if it's a known species or not. Most Tetrastemma are relatively plain but the color pattern on this looks like it would be pretty diagnostic. It is a monostiliferan hoplonemertean, meaning it has a proboscis with a single dagger-like stylet. It probably feeds on crustaceans like amphipods.

    --Jon

  4. It probably feeds on crustaceans like amphipods.

     

    ... DOH !!! ... how come I get the feeling that if I had known the next photo might have been sooo very much more interesting !?!?

     

    The worm was closing in on some asellote isopods (as previously I'd by Art) The first shot showa the action - although its all a bit soft. I will post clearer pics of the isopods following (though not the action!)

     

    :lol: you guys are gonna having me hunting for microscopic predation everywhere :lol:

    post-1321-1137379964_thumb.jpg

  5. Sputter... @$%$^ Are we engaging in class... I mean phylum warfare? <_< 

     

    If it makes you feel better you can call me non-segmented white trash too!

    :lol:

  6. asellote isopods ...

    post-1321-1137380479_thumb.jpg

    post-1321-1137380515_thumb.jpg

  7. :lol: you guys are gonna having me hunting for microscopic predation everywhere :lol:

     

    Excellent! And maybe get some real worms next time!

     

    those are really nice pod shots, especially considering their size.

    Edited by Leslie

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.