Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Northern 'green water' photographers

Started by Caper ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Northern 'green water' photographers

24 posts
  1. I think it would be safe to say I have seen alot of the tips and photos from warm waters and alot of them by fantastic photographers since starting to follow this site.

     

    Living off the coast of BC Canada I often shoot under different conditions and it is rarer to see cold water galleries on this site.

     

    From time to time I do see posts from people who brave colder waters and lower vis and was hopeful they would post some public gallery urls and perhaps offer some cold water tips or advise.

     

    I will post a site with some of my photos but I still concider myself a beginner still working through the basics and am not posting my site to impress. I guess I am still taking identification pictures and have not progressed to more artistic work.

     

     

     

    http://www.pbase.com/caper/other_uw

     

    Some were taken with a P&S with a single 50W strobe.

    The newer ones are with a 10D and 2 125W strobes.

    All are cold water shots. All were taken around Vancouver Island.

     

    I look forward to some other galleries from other parts.

    Edited by Caper
  2. HI Caper,

     

    your'e images are very impressive, I am also new to this type

    photography, by putting your'e images on the site you will get

    some expert tips on how you can improve your'e techniques & the learning

    curve will not be as long.

     

    Andy :):rolleyes: :ph34r: :ph34r:

  3. Thanks Andy. I have along way to go before I will be happy with my shooting. I have an advantage that I can dive all yar round here in British Columbia.

  4. Caper-Most of 30 years shooting has been in cold water. This site as most sites as you noted is warm water shooting. Yes I have been around the planet to some very warm sweet spots but the cold water spots are still my favorites. Dry suit diving with a camera. The water temp should not be a factor in the photos though. Its a bit tougher to shoot in cold water with all the gear-but thats about it-oh the conditions usually are a bit more rough-at least here in Northern California as well- and the boat ride is more lumpy- and the girls are not in bikini's- OK you have a point its just more work in cold water. One of my best dive memories was diving the Queen Charlets back in 93..I just got a film scanner and will post some cold water stuff when I figure all the scan stuff out-it's going to be a masssive learning curve. Mark

  5. Caper, your pics are all my favorite familiar critters. All most all of my diving has been in Puget Sound WA.

     

    Since you ask. http://community.webshots.com/user/stevenebillings

     

    I consider myself a beginner too. I have been shooting for about 3-4 years. The pics on webshots start with a S&S MX-10, then to a Nikon 995 in an Ike housing, and very recently I have started working with a Canon 20D in an Aquatica. Each graduation has been a fun learning experience.

     

    I find the biggest challenges to be the bulky gear as mentioned, 10 ft viz & backscatter that plays havoc with focus and lighting, and buddies that disappear.

     

    Steve B

  6. Hi Caper,

    You have some good shots posted there. Lots of familiar critters too. But...No Warbonnetts???? What's up with that? :)

     

    My website has some coldwater shots as well. Port Hardy being my favorite dive location. We'll be back up in September.

     

    Rand

    Edited by randapex
  7. Hello Caper,

     

    I enjoyed visiting your gallery! I have a few coldwater shots in my U/W gallery from California and plan to add more this year. I love diving the cold water here in N. California, like where you live, it seems every square inch is covered in one kind of marine life or another.

     

    Keith

  8. Rand,

     

    Sadly I never seem to be in the water with my camera when I find a warbonet. You have reminded me of this crime and I shall make it a priority to fix.

     

    I think it has to do with spending more time thinking about how to shoot then what to shoot.

     

    I came close a couple of dives ago when a fellow photographer found one but I did not know at the time and did not want to push them out of there spot to see what they were looking at.

  9. Steve B,

     

    Your online photos show quite a variety. Made me realize I need to get a decent Octopus shot. I have been doing alot of macro shooting and it tends to make you miss other things.

     

    Your obviously a busy diver and photographer. I really enjoyed your galleries.

  10. I just realized I am logged on as deep3dude? I must have two accounts, one at home and one at work saved in the cookies.

     

    Sorry for the confusion.

  11. From time to time I do see posts from people who brave colder waters and lower vis and was hopeful they would post some public gallery urls and perhaps offer some cold water tips or advise.

     

    I look forward to some other galleries from other parts.

     

    British Columbia has some of the best diving on the planet, lucky for you! And who wants boring clear water when you can have a pretty green? I like the chunky green variety best myself. :)

     

    I'm a Seattle based northwest diver, and dive around Puget Sound and Vancouver Island pretty often. Here is my gallery:

     

    http://www.pbase.com/davehicks/diving_gallery

     

    These are all from my Northwest Diving excursions during 2005.

     

    Dave

  12. Lots of cold water stuff from Puget Sound and B.C. on my sites and blog.

     

    Jack

  13. Hey Caper -

     

    Nce gallery, looks alot like mine :)

     

    I've got to agree with Dave, BC has some of the best diving in the world. We're lucky to have it only driving distance away - and a ferry ride. I'll be up at Hornby Island again for the annual sea lion dive in a couple of weeks.

     

    And Dave - love your Port Hardy gallery, really nice stuff.

     

    Marty

  14. Diving in BC!?!? thats cold....

     

    Silly....

     

    :)

  15. That's what we'd like everyone to think.

    :) shhhh

    Cheers,

    Marli

  16. Dave Hicks,

     

    Wow lots of great shooting. I see you were quite active during 2005 through the northwest. All you galleries were first rate.

  17. Jackconnick,

     

    Lots of great pics and you blog is very informative. I book marked it and will be back for more tips.

  18. Martys,

     

    I hope you are staying at the Hornby Lodge. I usually make the trip in the summer every 2 years for a chance to see six gill sharks.

     

    I usually get my fix of sea lions at Race Rocks (www.racerocks.com). Each year they seem bigger and more intimidating.

     

    Have fun !

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.