Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

pycnogonid ID

Started by Lndr ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

pycnogonid ID

13 posts
  1. Looking for an ID on this pycnogonid

     

    cheers

    Leander

    post-1321-1137975242_thumb.jpg

  2. ... and any useful references for ID of these critters ...

    post-1321-1137975428_thumb.jpg

  3. Let us know when you get one! :D

    Seriously, pycnognids are very poorly known & what is known about them is hard to find. The color pattern seems very distinct but I haven't been able to match it after an hour on the web & in my books. Maybe I just need more books.... unfortunately the family bookkeeper seems to think that paying bills is more important than my buying more reference books (including the australian ones I crave) or a new camera. <_< :P

    Edited by Leslie
  4. Tarantula!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. The color pattern seems very distinct but I haven't been able to match it after an hour on the web & in my books. 

    I'm glad its not just me. I found a few lists and a lot of species listed, but not good ID info :D

     

    There is a similar one that is yellow with red knees. Do you know anything about colour in pycnogonids?

     

    Maybe I just need more books.... unfortunately the family bookkeeper seems to think that paying bills is more important than my buying more reference books (including the australian ones I crave)

     

    ah, but don't they understand you can never have too many books :> :>

     

    Tarantula!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     

    Not quite as furry :P Thankfully!

  6. Same for us here, the closest we could get is PHOXICHILIDIIDAE, Stylopallene longicauda, also from Australia, but definitely this one here is a different species.

  7. There is a similar one that is yellow with red knees.  Do you know anything about colour in pycnogonids?

    ah, but don't they understand you can never have too many books :> :>

     

    No. The color in the pictures I've seen have been consistent within a species but I don't know if that's based on specimen id or if it's a case of people just image matching. I have a friend who works on sea spiders - I'll ask him.

     

    He understands, he just has these funny ideas about paying off the credit cards every month and how that comes first.... :P

  8. Tarantula!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     

    wow ... thats helpfull

     

    thats like me saying .. it's the lesser spotted not so known sea spider

     

    (has my new years resolution become to mess with mike ?)

     

    just for point of fact this sort of thing really interests me as i never see anything like this.

  9. (has my new years resolution become to mess with mike ?)

     

     

     

    Thats ok, i need it... DeanB not doing a good enough job of it.... <_<

  10. Back to pycnogonids..... Leander, one of the top authorities on pycs is in Australia - Bonnie Bain at Monash University in Victoria. Her website is http://www.invertebrate.ws/seaspider/index.htm

    Why don't you send the images to her? Then do let us know what she says.

    Good luck!

  11. Leslie,

     

    I did actually post a message on the forum, though I think I may have been the first sea spider not p*rn post on it !?!

     

    I would email her, though the only address I have is the invertebrates.ws one, and that site seems a little derelict :/ . If you have an monash one could you PM me?

     

    thanks heaps

    Leander

  12. Okay, just sent it. I got it off the Monash website - hope it actually works.

  13. I tracked down Bonnie Bain at Northern Arizona University. She has been great and sent me some distinguishing features for two likely species, Stylopallene tubirostris or or S. cheilorhynchus. It is also possible it is a new species.

     

    I have some homework to do :P

     

    B)

    Lndr

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.