Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Gates HC1 housing arrives!

Started by triswebb ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Gates HC1 housing arrives!

13 posts
  1. Well, finally after a bit of a wait (and a few nervous momments :-) ) my new gates underwater housing for the HC1 has arrived. First impressions are VERY good, unfortunetly, I have only been able to take it snorkelling so far and not any more than that. I will be going back to work mid Feb in Malaysia, so will be able to give it a proper test and review then. The big issue of white balance access has been managed, i think well, coinsidering the limitations. The LCD screen access will take some getting used to, but access is better than no access at all.

     

    I have uploaded some basic pictures of the housing on my website (www.updownandaround.com), nothing major, but show a well rounded picture of the complete housing. The white balance is basically accessed theough one turnable knob, theat allows you (through turning to differents points in a 180degree rotation) to access the manual white balance function.

     

    Apologies for the limited description of the housing, but if anyone has anymore specific questions I will happily try to answer, as i say, whithout actually taking it diving, I am limited to what I can really say - Im sure most people are familiar with the other functions you can access with this housing?

     

    Thanks!

     

    Tristan

    Edited by triswebb
  2. Hi Tristan,

     

    I must admit the Gates looks good. I am really tempted with the A1 version as the whole package with fathom lenses looks great. The only thing I'm concerned with is the levers. I am used to electronic controls. Have you had experience with both ?? What do you think. Also which lens did you go for. To access the W/B do you go through the assign button.

     

    Sorry to be a pain but, have you used the Gates monitor..What do you think.

     

    Cheers for any help :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. The wb on the Gates is accessed on the lcd viewfinder. It can also be accessed on the A1U by using the assign button.

    I am looking at this housing too. I am currently using a PC1000 that uses the same ports as the HC1/A1U. There is a huge difference between the different ports. I have used the Gates standard port and both of the Fathom Imaging Ports. (wp25 and swp25) The swp 25, although more expensive, is phenomenal. The 110 degree fov is great and the clarity compared to the standard port is great.

     

    As for the monitors, I haven't needed one yet so I would like to hear some info on those too.

  4. I have used the Gates standard port and both of the Fathom Imaging Ports. (wp25 and swp25) The swp 25, although more expensive, is phenomenal. The 110 degree fov is great and the clarity compared to the standard port is great.

     

    As for the monitors, I haven't needed one yet so I would like to hear some info on those too.

     

    Do you have any clips of footage shot with the standard port and Fathom port ? I'm curious to see the difference. I have a Gates for my TRV900. I was happy to find out that my lenses will fit the Gates HC1/AU1 housing but wonder if the clarity will be good enough for HD.

  5. I have some footage that was shot with the WP25. A friend of mine has the HC1 with a SWP25. I will ask him to give me some footage to post. I dont think it will be a problem. My footage is minidv, so it may not be as useful to you.

    I know that he has posted a message here http://underwaterul.com/forums/ that may be of interest. He may even post some to the forum for you.

  6. Hi Dean,

     

    The reason I went for the Gates in the end is really due to the manual controls. I will be using/working with the housing in a VERY isolated island here in Malaysia, so I went for the Gates manual controls purely to elimate the (although slim) potential problems with electronic controls, I simply want to limit the amount of hassle the housing can give me :-).

     

    In fairness, the levers are excellent (please remeber i have only taken it snorkelling so far), although not as easy to use as the electronic controls, they are certainly something you can get used to - if you know what I mean - everything is easily accessed from the housing grips and you can react quickly to changes that require the important controls such as zoom, photo etc etc - i guess this is more due to the design of the camera than the housing! But in saying this, the levers are firm and give you a good feel to how the camera will react to the pressure you place on them - i.e. a light touch on the zoom lever will result on the zoom reacting slowley, this I find VERY useful.

     

    I went for the GP25A port, which I am more than happy with, certainly for my needs (mainly making videos for fun fundivers - filming discover scuba programmes etc etc).

     

    I cannot comment on the Monitor - I ran out of cash at this point. The white balance (i got the HC1) i access through the menu, which as i say, is not the easiest, but better than nothing, to be honest, much of the video i make will be in fairly shallow water and the red filter should do the job nicely enough, but WB is there if i need it. Later, I may upgrade to the A1 and get the assign button installed if it upsets me too much :-) - at the moment im grateful for what i have, it has taken months of saving to get this far!!!

     

    Let me know what setup you go for, i will be very interested to hear how the other housings go in comparison.

     

    Thanks, Tristan

    www.updownandaround.com

  7. Congratulations

     

    Since you did not get the monitor, can you see the viewfinder from more than 1-2 inches away. is the "window" on the back a magnifier of the viewfinder can you see at 12 inches or would you need the monitor? thanks

    jim

  8. I'm am now going to try out both Amphibico and Gates housings when they finally get here. I'm heading towards Gates because of the Optics side. Fathom imaging takes some beating (apparently). The levers I've been told once you get used to, are just as easy as electronics.

     

    But for me the Optics will sway it. (I think).

     

    Had a plunge in my local, freezing pit. 4.5oc so not to bad <_< Viz was pretty good away from the newbie divers churning up the floor... I was happy with my old 950's performance at 20metres without lights. Just set on outdoor with filter. Alright for atmospheric scenes.

     

    Just waiting for the HDV housing.

     

    Good luck on all your decisions.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  9. Tristan,

     

    thanks for the report. I'm also looking at a possible HC1/ Gates package. Can you elaborate on how the manual WB is accessed on the HC1 thru the Gates housing. how do you view the LCD so that you can access the menu for manual white balance?

     

    thanks

  10. Update,

     

    After trying both housings I am staying with Amphibico. The levers I tried on another Gates housing (the PC1000) kept slipping, and at times not even connecting.

     

    It was probably just a one off. But when you are spending alot of money....

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  11. I have been using Gates housings since the old hi 8 days and there have been many major improvements to what was already an excellent and reliable housing. My newest housing is for the A1U with the Fathom Wide Angle lens as well as a flat port for use with diopters for macro shooting. Like anything, if you have never gotten a chance to work with manual levers, it may take a short time but they are really easy enough to use once you have had time to practice with them. I have two monitors, and they have always been dependable as well. In fact, I don't need one of them if anyone wants to save some $. With or without a monitor, when it comes time to do some really critical focusing, I always go back to the viewfinder.

    By the way, their service dept is tops.

    Steve :)

  12. ...Can you elaborate on how the manual WB is accessed on the HC1 thru the Gates housing.  how do you view the LCD so that you can access the menu for manual white balance?

     

    thanks

    You don't. The LCD is folded back against the camera when it's loaded in the housing.

     

    You use the add-on external monitor instead for white balance adjustment.

     

    I think the actual control actually activates the two different buttons on the side of the HC1 by rotating it around and locking it in position. Not sure on this as I've never seen the actual housing - it was described to me this way by my sales rep.

    Edited by sjspeck
  13. Your correct, that is just the way the wb control works for the HC1. The same housing for the A1U allows for another control that will take over the assign button so that it is a simple one step procedure.-Steve

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.