I see that Photoshop CS doesnt open Canon 5D files. Adobe specifically states that their latest RAW converter plugin (ver 3.3) is for Photoshop CS2 only. Short of upgrading to CS2, does anyone have any ideas? I am tempted to try the ver 3.3 with CS but I worry that I might really screw things up...
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Photoshop CS and Canon 5D raw files
Started by AndreSmith ·
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
Photoshop CS and Canon 5D raw files
-
-
I see that Photoshop CS doesnt open Canon 5D files. Adobe specifically states that their latest RAW converter plugin (ver 3.3) is for Photoshop CS2 only. Short of upgrading to CS2, does anyone have any ideas? I am tempted to try the ver 3.3 with CS but I worry that I might really screw things up...
I was in the same boat you are except i only have the 350D
. I ended up having to get the upgrade. The raw upgrade for cs2 wouldnt work with cs no matter how hard i tried. This is why we need a universal .raw format! -
ver3.3 will NOT work with CS. But you do not have to upgrade to CS2. You download Adobe DNG converter for free from adobe.
You can use that to convert your 5D .CR2 files to .DNG files.
You can then open the .DNG files in photoshop CS.
-
Gotya. Thanks guys
-
I have been using the Adobe CS2->DNG converter as acroporas suggested. Photoshop CS opens these perfectly. It also has the side benefit that the DNG has builtin lossless compression which saves about 20%. All of the meta information is preserved and the raw data is exactly the same, so there appears to be no downside! So now I plugin in a CF into the reader, fire up the converter to transfer the images to the hard drive, and then start editing in Photoshop. I would probably use this workflow even with Photoshop CS2.