Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Manners for Underwater Photographers

Started by ce4jesus ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Manners for Underwater Photographers

14 posts
  1. After reading Alex's article on the main page, I decided to start this discussion because it was evident I need some help in this regard. My first true underwater experience with a digital camera was last Friday. I was like a puppy on steroids shoving my LCD in the face of anyone who even feigned a moment of interest to be polite. I'm sure there are a host of other "new guy" behaviors that are as annoying as Aunt Martha's Sock Chewing Chihuahua. I know as a seasoned fisherman there are certain unwritten rules that are constantly broken by those new to the sport. Everyone has a great story of bad behavior that would be excellent to share.

  2. One of the big issues for me is specialness -- sometimes photographers think they have first dibs on viewing anything underwater, and they hog the view, not allowing the lensless divers to get good looks at frogfish or whatever. I reckon I am sometimes guilty of this, but I'm tryiing to reform. Also, some photogs (here,not me!) wait until too late in their preps, and then slow down the entry for everyone as they futz with housings, cords, o-rings, and cords. Not only is this dangerous to their cameras (NEVER hurry!), but it's rude to their divemates. My 2 cents.

     

    Chris

  3. Not exactly sure what you mean. Are you wanting to know how to behave as an underwater photographer or how to behave around photographers?

     

    This one applies to both.

     

    Leave other photographers alone. When you see a photographer working, give him/her space. Yes the photographer is probably looking at something really cool. But if you go in to look/quick snap, you will likely ruin their shot by causing the subject to move. Take a look after the they moves on.

  4. William - in particular any behavior by new photographers at any point before, during or after a dive. Since I'm new to the sport and the art, I thought I would ask the question to elicit responses that could head off any "accidental/ignorant" behavior. Stories are a great way to share experiences that put you off.

  5. We have had many discussions about photographers' impacts on marine life. I think it would be very interesting to talk about etiquette between photographers.

     

    The most important thing is to be considerate and respectful. This solves most problems.

     

    On guided dives it is important to share subjects. Think about your photography before you settle down to shoot, get your settings correct and your lighting. Many people comment to me how short a time I spend with subjects. This is because I think about the types of images I want to take before hand, get set up and I get my shots very quickly.

     

    If you are diving with other photographers it can be good to discuss what particular subjects you are each after. So when your guide finds the Ghost Pipefish, or whatever, then everyone knows that this is the critter you have been waiting for. The alternative is to wait for the others to get their shots and then stay on with the subject after they have moved on.

     

    If you see a photographer on the subject you shouldn't charge in to see what it is. Hang above and a small distance away and chances are they will call you over. But be respectful not to kick up sediment up current of them (a big problem of queuing divers on muck dives) and also be mindful of what lens they are using. Last summer in the Red Sea two friends of mine didn't realise I was shooting a turtle with a fisheye and it was very hard for me to explain to them that they were still in my shot, even when they had moved right out of the way.

     

    Also if you are on a subject and someone comes along - call them in for a look. If they are not a photographer they won't want to look for long - and if they are they will understand to be quick and you can get back to shooting. When you start showing other people stuff underwater they will soon start showing you stuff back.

     

    Anyway those are a few of my random thoughts to kick things off.

     

    Alex

  6. VERY interesting subject!

     

    I try to be mindful of the others on the boat by adopting the following:

     

    *Not hogging the dayroom/saloon table with a spread of strobes/case/camera/laptop etc

    *Taking my own multi-socket strip (on an extension lead) so as to leave other electrical outlets free

    *Picking a 'quiet' corner of the saloon to use for downloading/servicing/setting up my kit

    *Being ready well in advance for the dive (I like to be ready to be 1st in)

    *Trying to buddy up with another photographer, or offering to dive solo if appropriate so as to avoid a 'bored' buddy

     

     

    I also take time to talk to the non-photographers along the lines of:

    * My kit is expensive, please try to not kick or knock it (although it is MY responsibility to keep it out of harms way)

    *Please allow me a few moments to take my photos, I won't 'hog' the subject & I'll point out interesting things to you in return

    * I will be happy to take a couple of images of you for you to keep, but please try to avoid getting in any pic I am composing where I haven't invited you in (I find that, prior to diving, allowing them to see through the viewfinder with my 10.5 fisheye on is sufficient for the penny to drop as to how wide the lens can capture!) :)

     

    I have found it to be really good PR to put a brief slideshow on my laptop after a days dive of a couple of dozen of the days' images - and to answer the numerous questions that are posed again and again!

     

    My diving is all boat based; either day or liveaboard, and it is is really important to keep a harmonious atmosphere when confined to such a relatively small space, so as we are often the 'odd ones out' we need to work even harder at it.

     

    Although I'm a relatively recent convert to u/water photography I have already noticed a 'sea change' (sorry!!!) amongst divers' attitudes to photographers; no doubt a good part of this is due to the proliferation of divers starting to buy & use compacts and this can only be good for the sport as a whole.

    Edited by ralphy
  7. Leave other photographers alone. When you see a photographer working, give him/her space.
    If you see a photographer on the subject you shouldn't charge in to see what it is.

     

    William and Alex are much more kind than I in their write-up of this behavior...when I'm sizing up a shot, and another shooter decides that that means they shouldn't miss out (right then), I call it poaching. It's an ugly word for an ugly behavior.

     

    All the best, James

  8. Diver with camera along side me filming the same thing, but getting paid...

     

    That annoys the hell out of me :):D:)

     

    Seriously...Just the usual, no respect to anything just their million pound set-up and getting that shot. <_<

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  9. The one thing I used to do when I was a newbie with a camera was to pile my P&S on top of all the other cameras in the 5 gallon "rinse bucket" and let them enjoy the boat ride back to the resort. I was a little cavalier with my (and everyone else's) $300 camera and housing. So now that I have a much more expensive rig, I'm much more cautious about rinsing etiquette.

     

    On dives, I still notice other divers still have a tendency to charge in when I'm working on a subject. Something about a photographer not moving attracts all this attention. Its not like I'm going to scare the eel/shrimp/seahorse/anemone off. If I get some time to take a picture or two, then I'll move out of the way, and everyone else can harass the poor critter.

     

    I also wait for other photographers to have their turn. After they're done, I'll go take a look. When the entire group crowds in to see the turtle, I'll hang back because its probably not the last turtle I'll see.

     

    I also move a lot slower than everyone else and hang at the back of a group. It gives me room and time to frame my shots with less likelihood of another diver ending up in the shot.

  10. Do not swim near photographers when you can't stay 4-5 feet off the bottom. Your fins will stir up silt.

     

    As a photgrapher, be gracious to other divers. Share your knowledge if someone asks for advice or help with a gear or camera problem. This lets them know that, even with all that cool gear, you are not a rich, stuck up snob. Believe me, many a photographer I have met over 25 years have been the type who I'd not want to be associated with. You treat like crap you get divers bombing you underwater as payback.

     

    Shoot some pics of divers topside and show them a little slide show later. They love that and it sparks good conversations.

     

    If you are waiting for a shot, don't pressure the photographer by letting him know you are waiting. Just hang back behind them and maybe just off to the side. DO NOT plow into him and start shooting. Wait patiently.

     

    As a photographer, when you are done shooting, take a quick look around to see if there are any other photographers around. Direct them to the subject. If they are interested, you have made a good friend. However, if they are shooting, don't bother them. Just move on to find your next subject.

     

    Handle ALL cameras (not just yours) as it were your own. Good deeds blossom more good deeds.

     

    Joe

  11. One of the big issues for me is specialness -- sometimes photographers think they have first dibs on viewing anything underwater, and they hog the view, not allowing the lensless divers to get good looks at frogfish or whatever.

    Chris

     

    And the inverse is true.

    Nothing ticks me off more than allowing the non-photo divers to look at the critter first only to have them silt it up on their way out!

  12. I have been trying to stay away from this thread for what will become obvious reasons.

     

    Here are my contributions:

     

    1. If you can't afford to loose the equipment you are diving with, then don't dive with it. A 100 ft bounce dive, after being at depth for 30 minutes, to regain a piece of equipment you lost is not good for your health. ;)

     

    1a. Also, yanking the regulator out of someone's mouth, at depth, because you failed to monitor your air consumption (or have enough air for your bounce dive) also shows poor dive ettiqutte. At least, try to accept the alternate regulator when offered. Ripping the regulator out of another diver's mouth so you can breathe, will only double the number of divers in trouble. :D

     

    2. Do not rely on your buddy to keep track of where you are.

     

    3. Do not use the rinse tank as your own personal jacuzzi after the dive. You will not make any friends sitting on everyones dive/photo equipment while you are rinsing your equipment off as you wear it. ;)

     

    4. When pushing the limits in deep diving, (like trying for 260 feet when you've only had training for 135 feet) don't take anyone with you. Divemasters do try to rescue people they think are in trouble. It also leaves those in more shallow waters with less safety resources because of your actions. :D

     

    5. Do not drink to an excess the night before diving. Watching someone vomit at 80 feet is as interesting as watching them vomit at sea level on dry land. Do try to get some sleep the night before, unattentive divers put a strain on the whole group as well as your dive buddy. ;)

     

    Just a few of the truly bad behaviors I've seen.

     

    Sorry for the rant, but I do feel better now. :)

  13. A rinse tank is just that, a rinse. Equipment really doesn't need to ride in there for hours. If the deck hands take my camera and place it in the tank, I usually take it out first thing after I drop my tank and grab a towel.

     

    If everyone would do that, there wouldn't be a big stack of gear with an accident waiting to happen.

     

    I dislike handling others' gear to get mine out, especially if it's big huge heavy rig.

     

    Jack

  14. First let me say that i am definately not a professional at diving or photography. I know that i'm guilty of many of the behaviors previously discussed ;) , but I try to improve both my diving and photography skills on every dive.

    On my last dive trip in Belize, there was a man with a camera who showed all of the bad tendencies spoken of. He swam in an almost vertical position, he paddled his fins 90 MPH at all times (bright yellow fins) and would dive into any photo op with the gusto of a pig in slop, oblivious to anyone or anything around. Many of us were the recipients of fin slaps to the head :lol:

    So after this rant my suggestions would be:

    1. Learn how to dive correctly ie. bouyancy control at all times!

    2. No photo is worth ruining someone elses dive. Be a courteous diver!

    3. Above all just enjoy being underwater!! :P

     

    Let me now say thanks to all of you who post on this site. I have learned a lot in the few months that I've been viewing it. :angry:

    Sincerely,

    Doug

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.