Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Anybody already bumped into the new PADI course?

Started by Andi Voeltz ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Anybody already bumped into the new PADI course?

16 posts
  1. Hello Wetpixel'lers,

     

    it has been a while since I found the time to post here. Partly also due to my latest

    assignments and the usual DIGIDEEP administration that keeps me busy. I have

    a personal question to ask here and I am very exited/nervous to read the answers.

     

    As PADI now officially printed the first books and white balance slates, I'd like

    to know if some of the users here already made contact with the new course

    (materials) and how you liked them.

     

    And yes, I thought we needed a slate to balance on Alex Filters :lol:

    If you still do not know what I am talking about, check the latest releases

    on wetpixel.com and DIGIDEEP here:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/padis-digit...ography-course/

     

    http://www.digideep.com/news_details.php?id=295_0_9_0_M

     

    Honest feedback good or bad is warmly welcome :angry:

  2. I read a nice article about it in Italian magazine Sub Aqva.

     

    There was also a picture of digitallywet Giles on the cover of that issue - for those who want to look out for it.

     

    sub_aqva.jpg

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  3. Oh .. now thats a nice cover ... something very appealing about it ... hmm can't quite put my finger on it ... hmmm

    Edited by digitallywet
  4. Well Giles, I can tell you what it is if you want, LOL !!!!

    Finally a cover for girl, about time !!!!

    I was getting tired of all those chicks in bikinis on my diving magazines lately :angry:

    (I know you guys ain't but there is a few of us girls out here)

    Now somebody tells me where I can find that magazine in the States, LOL !!!

     

    Sylvie

  5. I think Giles is Dead Sexy (said in "Fat Bastard" voice)

     

    James

  6. You're just jealous you can't have women like Sylvie drooling all over your glossy self on the cover of an italian magazine.

     

    Note to All ... for the right amount of Money I am willing to take suggestions for my next UW pose for Alex to shoot for a Dive Magazine Cover ... will soon set up a Pay Pal donations button !! :angry:)

     

    oh too funny.

     

    oh and James .. just so you know ... in those early days when that shot was taken I was mostly all about the Blue Steel look .... unable to obtain 'Magnum' I changed tact and now actually do do the 'Fat Bastard' .. do ya think i'm sexy pose .... as of yet .. unpublished.

     

    ps .. andi .. sorry for rail roading your Padi post ... it was out of my control Alex started it.

    Edited by digitallywet
  7. Andi, I had a customer come into the store who is a PADI Instructor. He had the new U/W Digital Photo Course book with him. I only had a few minutes to browse the book but was very impressed with what I saw.

  8. I've been trying to get some sort of an answer from PADI here in Australia and nada so far. I am looking forward to seeing the materials.

     

    don't suppose you know, but are existing photo instructors going to have to pay for a new instructor rating to teach this one?

  9. The unofficial word from PADI Australia is that that they intend to introduce this product in the 2nd Quarter.

  10. The materials are being rolled out to Course Directors tomorrow 9 Feb at their update here in Cairns. So shouldn't be long after that all Instructor can get it.

     

     

    Regards

    Gary

  11. The instructor outline for this course is already available for PADI instructors to download at PADI.com. It's in the PADI Pros section.

    Edited by rooster
  12. The instructor outline for this course is already available for PADI instructors to download at PADI.com. It's in the PADI Pros section.

     

    Typical...it's not in our PADI Pros area :angry:

  13. don't suppose you know, but are existing photo instructors going to have to pay for a new instructor rating to teach this one?

     

    I'd be quite interested with the answer to this question too. I'd written my own distinctive specialty for UW digital photography in 2001, and would hate to have to pay again to convert to the new one.

  14. Holy crap!!! :unsure::o:huh:

     

    I downloaded the Instructor outline. Besides having to fork over more money; the prereq is the student must be a snorkeler, Level one of the specialty can be combined with OW training.

     

    Great!!!!! Now, after all the skills are done on dive 4 of OW, I can hand them a camera so than can do their OW Photography Dive during their tour..... hmmmm, on nitrox, too.....in a dry suit.....tie a lift bag to the camera at the end of the dive....after diving on the wreck.....at multiple levels........That's the ticket!!!!

  15. @UWPhotoTech: Thanks for the positive feedback!

     

    @mattdiver:

     

    I'd be quite interested with the answer to this question too.  I'd written my own distinctive specialty for UW digital photography in 2001, and would hate to have to pay again to convert to the new one.

     

    Hello Matt,

     

    are you involved for co-authoring the book from Michael Aw?

     

    If yes, I feel honored to meet you here B) But coming to

    answering your question - a question many others might

    have, too: The course is different and has different contents

    than other underwater photo courses and distinctive

    specialities that were previously submitted to PADI.

     

    Therefore you have to apply for a new Instructorship and

    I strongly recommend to attend the "Successful Digital

    Underwater Photography Workshop" with a PADI Course

    Director near you, if locally offered. There you get a lot

    more for your money and PADI statistics show that people

    who used this method of application actually start teaching

    the course.

     

    With direct application you can just "get the ticket" if you

    already have the old photo instructor specialty card. But

    as Giles already pointed out in DIGIDEEPs Forum, this

    procedure is prone to produce mediocre digital photo

    instructors. As you may guess I am not a big fan of that

    application method. But that is my personal opinion.

     

    @scorpio_fish:

     

    Students can be snorkelers :unsure: - but they do not have to be!

    You can integrate Level One in the Open Water Course, but it is not

    a must! Remember, it is up to the instructor to evaluate the students

    capabilities and local enviroments.

     

     

    Andi

  16. @mattdiver:

    Hello Matt,

     

    are you involved for co-authoring the book from Michael Aw?

     

    If yes, I feel honored to meet you here B)

     

    Yep, that's me! Thanks for the clarifications on the new specialty...

     

    By the way, I like your site too, and regularly recommend it to students... :unsure:

     

    Mathieu

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.