Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Cayman Aggressor Photo Week

Started by MPC ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Cayman Aggressor Photo Week

5 posts
  1. We signed up for the Aggressor's photo week in June with Mike & Mike from the Jim Church School of U/W Photo. I was wondering if anyone has taken their class?

    Especially in Cayman.

     

    Also, I am using a D70 with an Ike housing. I presently have been thinking of using my Nikon SB-105 strobe with a new cord. Or I could go another route and get a DS125, any thoughts? I was told that I would be using the strobe in manual anyway so it really does not need to be ittl.

     

    My other concern with the SB-105 it has no modulating lite. I always had to rig a small lite with my Nikonos for nite diving and penetrations. Any recomendations for this problem?

     

    All advice is appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Your SB-105 would be perfect. Enough power etc...

     

    As for the modeling light, this is personal preference.

     

    DS-125 has very fast recycling speed, built-in modeling light, may power levels... and Ike service!

     

    My $ 0,02

     

    Michel

  3. We signed up for the Aggressor's photo week in June with Mike & Mike from the Jim Church School of U/W Photo. I was wondering if anyone has taken their class?

    Especially in Cayman.

     

    We have signed up for the same course in Belize and are also seeking info on the course/instructors

  4. Hello, MPC. I'm going on that same Cayman Aggressor trip. I can't provide any info on the instructors/instruction, other than Ryan at Reef Photo thought they would be helpful to me. (I'm not an expert, but not a pure beginner.)

     

    I have a Canon 20D in an Ike housing, with a DS-125. I like the DS-125 a lot, except that it weighs a ton. Recycle in 1 second from a full dump, built in modeling/focus light (which helps me with stobe aim), 4 power settings for manual (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8) plus TTL.

     

    I don't know whether the instructors will require manual strobe settings. The TTL works great, and it's just one less task to worry about. It's always there, but in any case, using the TTL setting, and the controls on the Ike housing, you have full manual control anyway - and most stops of adjustment than come one the camera.

     

    I don't think the housing controls will work with the SB105. You'll be able to trigger it, but any adjustments will have to be made on the strobe itself. Since it's usually out on the end of the arm, sometimes that can be awkward.

     

    See you in the Caymans!

  5. Mike and Mike are very good photographers and well respected in the industry. You will be sure to learn from them.

     

    Joe

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.