Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Hand Luggage

Started by Elli and Ted ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Hand Luggage

9 posts
  1. Its me again,

    I need a bit of advice, I bought a Peli Case 1550 to pack a Ikelite housing two ports, three lenses (one of which is a 60mm canon macro so thanks again lads for your advice) one DS125, a Canon 350D and some small stuff Orings, cables etc , it all comes to the grand total weight of 11kg.

    We are flying with Cathey Pacific to the Phillipines but they only allow 7kg hand luggage. There is no way I am going to give this in as normal Baggage, so how do I get around the first and biggest problem of taking my new equipment abroard???

     

    I know this question has allready been asked in the forum, but I cant seem to find it.

    Luv some help

    Ted

    Edited by Elli and Ted
  2. I think the Pelican is weigth almost 7 Kg or even more, I use a light roll for this puppose , it's won't protect my gear as the Peli but if the gear is with me its better for me.

    I frien of my with the same problem bought a photographer's vest (I think that is the name) with a lot of pockets and put more the 10 Kg in it, not very comfotrable but works. :unsure:

  3. Hi Ted

     

    My first line of defence - or is it attack? - is to chat up the check-in clerk so that by the time we come to the weigh-in, we have exchanged life history, favourite movies and, most importantly, the fact that I fly with airline x regularly to scuba photography locations. If that fails, plead and whimper.

  4. If that fails, plead and whimper.

    From my experience in this stage it's better to use your (my) young & attractive buddy (of course you have to insure you are in front of a male check-in clerk at first) :unsure:

  5. It's getting to the point where it all won't matter anymore. Airlines are struggling financially so badly that they will ultimately pass on costs to the consumer. I'd say that within the next 2-3 years we will all be paying a premium for checked and carry-on luggage just to help ease their financial sting. For a south pacific trip plan on spending anywhere from $500 to $2,000 extra depending on how much gear you haul. They'll get you going and going. Realistically, it may ultimately become more financially favorable to use FED-X.

     

    Joe

  6. Hong Kong Airport (Cathay's hub for asia) is pretty strict on size of luggage. But weight isn't that much of an issue. If that 1550 can fit in the sizewise test box then you're good to go. Also make sure you use any premier frequent flyer status to push for more hand/checked luggage. I switched to Singapore Airlines because of that. For the last 6 years, they've not bugged me about 3 bags carry on.

  7. I'll try and talk Elli into doing a Can Can in front of the check in, so I can slip by with my stuff, but somehow I dont think its going to work, I'll just have to take it as it comes and that we can, at last, start taking what are hopefully some descent Photos. We have planned and saved so hard for this, its got to workout well.

    ps. dont like the idea of a check box in Hong Kong :)

     

    see ye later

    Ted

    Edited by Elli and Ted
  8. Leave the Pelican at home, put the gear in a good photo back pack.... make like it weigh's nothing when you get to the check in counter.

     

    I fly CX exclusively from Vancouver to Manila at least once a year...nothing will get their attention faster than a Pelican. My backpack easily weighs 15kg but I've never been stopped, this is on top of the laptop case that I carry as well. My housing, strobes and ports go into a 1620 pelican that then go into a battered up suitcase.

     

    My 2 cents.

     

    Stu

  9. It's getting to the point where it all won't matter anymore.  Airlines are struggling financially so badly that they will ultimately pass on costs to the consumer. I'd say that within the next 2-3 years we will all be paying a premium for checked and carry-on luggage just to help ease their financial sting.  For a south pacific trip plan on spending anywhere from $500 to $2,000 extra depending on how much gear you haul.  They'll get you going and going. Realistically, it may ultimately become more financially favorable to use FED-X.

     

    Joe

     

     

    Hey Joe, I think that the day that most of us have to pay and additional $500 to $2000

    to check luggage to the South Pacific is the day that the airlines go out of business.

    I know that Deb and I would NOT pay an additional $500 to $2,000 to fly past Hawaii.... :)

    Edited by Tonym

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.