Hey Rand -
Running the DOF calculator for the Canon 1DsMkII versus the Nikon D2X (1.0x crop versus 1.5x crop) for a 100mm (Canon) and 105mm (Nikon) macro lens at 12in subject distance yields the following:
1DsMkII:
f/22, DOF=0.33in
f/32, DOF=0.47in
D2X:
f/22, DOF=0.20in
f/32, DOF=0.28in
Significant in my mind.
~Matt Segal
Is it fair to run those two calculations at the same distance? isn't the nikon more like a 150mm on the cropped sensor, so to make it apples to apples, I'd change the distance or change the lens, just for the calculation.
But the point really is, yeah, the nikon has less depth of field, but it has more power, and power matters. The nikon is not giving up something and getting nothing in return.
And even if it was, some people are going to like shallow depth of field. I really like it on the images with the polyps out.
I'm having trouble with the quoting, but people have done this with film, I think Chris Bangs has. His macro canon needs a weight belt, not a bouyancy collar.
Chris Bangs' rig
Chris Bangs' anemone fish eggs at 8or9:1
Chris Bangs gallery
an old description of his rigs I saved:
Cameras used, Fuji -S2 ,Nikon F-5,N-90,or 8008
Aquatica housings, Ikelite was used with the N-90 for up to 5:1
custom ports built using multiple extensions
Lens - Nikon Macro lens 105 mm or 200 mm
Kenko PRO 300 teleconveters ( 1.4x/2x/3x. single or stacked )
Multi element diopters as required for magnification
Note: your images can only be as good as the glass you use on the camera, the camera itself is not nearly as critical!
Strobes, Dual Ike 50, or Nikon SB-105 ( full manual mode )