I know this might be obvious but i hope we all know we should shoot both horizontal and vertical you will definatley get different results under each method .
- 8Posts
- 8Replies
Read-only discussion
Shoot both ways
-
-
thats a Um .. Ahem ... great insight and something often forgotten with certain subjects or when you are just starting out
... maybe you should share some examples of the same shot taken in both verticle and portrait to illustrate .. when i get a chance i'll see if i have any 
-
yea i would do that but i dont know exactly how to upload pix ?? what sizes do we have to use on them ?
-
Chris - check out some of the images our members have been posting in the Picture of the Week area:
http://wetpixel.com/competition/
There are some great shooters here. Specific insight is preferable to general comments that aren't...
(sorry, i'm sort of at a loss for for what to say).
As for showing images, any web resolution/sized image should be fine. Try to target 500-600 pixels in the longest dimension, and relatively small file size.
-
Chris, you don't have to attach images here, as you have a website, the best way put images up is to use the IMG at the top of the page here. Using that you can just link your image from your site right into a thread. Just put the cursor where in your message you want to insert the pic and then hit the IMG icon at the top, a window will open and you insert the link to your photo
But yes, having 600 max on the longest side keeps the pages here small and easy to view.
-
Hi Chris,
When you shoot you must consider a few things when composing. With magazine covers, it is best to deliver vertical shots, although with hi-rez digital you can crop a landscape shot into a vert. but why go through the trouble? You must look at the geometry of the subject and the reefscape. If you have a 2 inch nudibranch in a horizontal position, for example, the composition might look lousy with a vertical shot. The objective is to make the image interesting and deminsional and flowing so that the eye knows where to go for the main point of the image. I see some pics that people think are good, but they are horrible because they are not composed correctly. Myself included. In my early days I got to show what I thought were good slides to a pro (in his pad). How nervous do you think I was? I didn't know him well and was invited with a friend. Guess what? His number one criticism was that I had bad composition...almost all landscape shots and nearly no verticals. I deserved it. This started a long friendship and now, 20 years later, he is my homey and I have learned a hell of a lot from him. But I think it is ironic that you bring this up because it was the first "real piece of feedback" I had on my pictures and I am lucky to have had that. Many photographers don't have the luxury of paln' around with pros for 20 years, I did. So every shot I try to envision in my noggin what I want to get on the frame. However, I do shoot horiz. to mix it up and, who knows, when you get home to edit you may have a winner in either case.
Joe
-
alright thanks for the response everyone i was just making sure not everyone just takes horzontial shots only was kinda a no brianer topic sorry about that
-
Someone has already answered this question in another one of your posts:yea i would do that but i dont know exactly how to upload pix ?? what sizes do we have to use on them ?http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12105
i'm closing this thread.