Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

My pix from Fiji and Galapagos

Started by scubadude ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

My pix from Fiji and Galapagos

9 posts
  1. Please see my web site for trip reviews and pics my files are too big for the forum

     

    divingwithchriskovaz.com

  2. Your pictures are not too big to post. If anything, I would post them bigger. Usually 600-800 in largest dimension is good.

     

    Here is an example of how to attach a picture. Type the code:

    [img=http://divingwithchriskovaz.com/Galapagos/IMG_0474.jpg]

    And your picture will show up in the text like this:

    IMG_0474.jpg

     

    Looks like you are enjoying your Rebel. But there are a few things you could do to improve.

     

    First of all, nearly all of your pictures are over-exposed. Many of your pictures have the EXIF info removed but those that do not were shot at ISO 400. Try shooting at ISO 100.

     

    Not only will this help to control the over-exposure but the image quality will be better. When I shot with a Rebel, I found even ISO 200 to be too noisy for large prints.

     

    A somewhat related issue is that your flash exposure being over powered by the ambient light. Most of your shots look like they are with ambient light only. When you get a handle on proper background exposure, this will partially sort itself out but you are also going to need to up the flash exposure a bit.

     

    Another thing is that you are not getting nearly close enough to your subjects. Zoom out and get closer. You should never be more than 2' from your subject. This will help a lot with the lack of contrast and sharpness that many of your shots suffer from.

     

    Finally, it does not look like you are paying much attention to composition. Way too many of your shots have heads and tails cut off. Also, try to position yourself between the subject and the reef so that there is some blue water behind the subject rather than just reef.

     

    You have a great kit and it looks like you are able to get in the water somewhat regularly. . There are some great photographers here at wetpixel. Hang around and look at their work for inspiration and with a little more practice you will soon be taking some stunning photos.

    Edited by acroporas
  3. I would have to agree on the poor exposure on almost all of the wide angle shots, even the ones taken using ambient light.

    without any exif data it's hard to tell but it almost seems like they are shot in full auto mode.

     

    this not being the critique forum I wont carry on ... but some good work on places youhave visited .. there is some nice variation there and yes it does look like you are having fun with the photography .. the more fun you have your photos will only keep improving.

  4. I think you are a bit hard William on more than one occasion so instead of lurking this time I'm going to say something.

     

    It's not an attack on you but you gave advice about overexposure, composition etc, well these images are from your site, with images like these should you really be giving such advice?

     

    post-6099-1139963445_thumb.jpg

    post-6099-1139963459_thumb.jpg

    post-6099-1139963473_thumb.jpg

    post-6099-1139963486_thumb.jpg

  5. Ouch!.......but he's right!.....read his post again....William was offering constructive advise that was in the spirit of helping someone improve their skills...there was nothing disrespectful said and it was all offered with good intentions

     

    Karl

    Edited by kdietz
  6. Again I don't want this to come over any worse than it has but Scubadude wrote:

     

    "Please see my web site for trip reviews and pics my files are too big for the forum"

     

    He did not ask for critical comments on his images, if he had he probably would have posted it in the correct forum:

     

    "Image Improvement Center

    The "real" photo critique forum, where we really try to be constructive in each and every reply to a posted image. Please read rules carefully"

     

    criticizing someone's images feels really demeaning when they did not ask for it.

  7. criticizing someone's images feels really demeaning when they did not ask for it.

    I think this was a response to Scubadude asking people to go to his website in 12 other posts today (which we moderators have had to delete).

     

    Let's start over.

    Edited by echeng
  8. I think you are a bit hard William on more than one occasion so instead of lurking this time I'm going to say something.

     

    It's not an attack on you but you gave advice about overexposure, composition etc, well these images are from your site, with images like these should you really be giving such advice?

    I have only been into this for a little under years, and I hardly consider myself perect. Thanks to the great help I have recieved here at wetpixel over the last two years, I feal I have rapidly been improving every day, though there is still plenty of room for improvment. Of the pictures of mine you posted, the most recent was taken more than a year ago. I hope that if you look at my more recent galleries, you would see at least a bit of improvement since then.

     

    But by all means critisize my pictures. That is how I learn. But let it be constructive criticism. Rather than "your pictures suck, who are you to talk". How about give some advise for improvement.

     

    I'm going to put you on the spot since you picked out 4 of my pictures. What specifically is the problem with them? What would you do to improve them?

    Edited by acroporas
  9. This topic is closed.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.