Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Travel case - foam or dividers?

Started by alsorrell ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Travel case - foam or dividers?

9 posts
  1. So I finally settled on getting a Canon S80, Ikelite housing (not yet shipped) and Ikelite DS125 plus spare batteries, nmemory cards, o-rings, etc.

     

    Now I'm considering a carry case and looking at Pelican & StormCase that would qualify as carry-on. I'm wondering if anyone has any strong feelings (pro or con) about the "pluck 'n pick" foam cube or divider style interiors?

     

    Seems that the foam can be made more snug but less amenable to changes.

     

    I'd appreciate any thoughts!

    Thanks,

    Al

  2. Dividers are more durable and less messy.

    On the strobe front, I'd consider getting the Inon D2000w. They pack much smaller than any of the Ikelite strobes and from my experience, I'd said more reliable. Just as Frogfish about his. I don't think his has worked in 4 repair visits back to Ikelite. Every trip I've been with him, he's used his backup S&S and now Inons.

  3. I'd definitely go for dividers. After a while the foam disintegrates. The dividers are much more flexible as well, which you will appreciate when you upgrade and your gear changes. You will also be able to use your case more because it can be customised to carry all other sorts of stuff.

  4. I ignored everyone and went with Foam when I bought my storm case.

     

    Now I'm regretting it. :D Go with dividers.

  5. I simply refuse to use the cases like PELI.

     

    WHY ?

     

    Because they LOOK HEAVY, airlines have been clamping down for years on weight, if it looks heavy they will simply want to weigh it,

     

    not very often you can get your carry on to less than the standard 5kg

     

    so if it looks light and small then they dont ask to weigh it.

     

    I use Lowepro soft bag's & Rucksac's, And have yet never been asked to pop my bags onto the scales.

     

    When i used an Ikelite case, they were always hitting me, and often it had to go in the aircraft hold.

     

    another trick I use is to wear a really baggy pair or Pants (trousers) like combats with lots of pockets, and off load all my camera lenses into my pockets prior to check in, just in case they wish to weigh my bags.

     

    I dont like baggage handlers throwing £6000 worth of MY camera equipment around, I like to keep it with me that way it enjoys the journey just as much as I do, & i know its going to work when i arrive at my destination.

     

    Less delicate items such as Arm's, Cables, Ports Etc, goes into my checked luggage packed into HARD plastic storage boxes to protect it.

     

    regards

     

    craig

  6. I do have a Peli case - and I check it in as hold luggage. However, it holds my dome port, case, arms and battery chargers; my camera and lenses go in a Lowepro backpack which accompanies me onto the aircraft.

     

    Craigs idea of a pair of baggy pants is a good one; I use my wife as a 'mule' if I see the check-in girl is policing the hand luggage for weight!!!!

     

    I have been considering the idea of a hard case (Samsonite?) with foam inside, cut out to fit all my equipment in; these cases are so inoccuous that I think they offer the lowest profile for camera equipment vis a vis baggage handlers........

  7. ...another trick I use is to wear a really baggy pair or Pants (trousers) like combats with lots of pockets, and off load all my camera lenses into my pockets prior to check in, just in case they wish to weigh my bags...

     

    I do the same thing with a photo vest I wear.

     

    On a recent trip, I had an interesting experience with baggy pants. They tagged me for extra screening (pat-down, examination of carry-ons, etc.), and the guy said, "You know why you were pulled out, don't you? The baggy pants. That's now part of the profile we have to watch for."

     

    Apparently, terrorists are now using baggy pants, not to carry camera lenses like us harmless photographers, but for other, less harmless objects... :D

  8. Yep, its got to be dividers. Initially more expensive, they last longer and are more flexible.

     

    So the message now is DON'T wear cargo pants. Eeee, life, just when you think you have it sorted......

  9. Thanks all for the advice. I decided on a Storm case with dividers and it should arrive in a couple of days!

    Al

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.