Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Magic Filter for shallow shark shots?

Started by bmyates ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Magic Filter for shallow shark shots?

13 posts
  1. I'll soon be doing another trip aboard Shearwater with JASA, and was wondering if it might be worth trying a Magic Filter with a fast (e.g., f/2.8-4) WA lens on some of the shallow dives (e.g., 15-20ft at Tiger Beach) instead of using strobes. Anybody tried that, or have reasons why it would/wouldn't be a good idea?

  2. Definite yes Bruce, IMHO. In fact, I really wish I'd had it on my trip with Shearwater. Especially if it's a sunny day you'll find the results will be quite different than with the strobes.

     

    I shot Sealions in 8-15' in Mexico with and without the filter and the natural colors of the Sealions was much better with the Magic filter without strobe light.

     

    seal_swimswiththefishes.jpg

     

    Rand

    Edited by randapex
  3. Great shot of the sea lion, Rand! BTW, do you recall what lens you used for that shot?

     

    I would think that one of the advantages of the Magic Filter would be no wait time for strobes to refresh (you could take pictures as fast as you could push the shutter!). But I agree that it needs to be a sunny day; the Magic Filter seems to love (and need) lots of ambient light for optimal results!

  4. 10.5 So it's a bit deceiving as to how close the Sealion really is. Maybe 3 or 4 feet away.

    Because of the opportunity to fill the frame with the friendly Tigers... :) I'd try the 10.5 for sure.

     

    Edit: Just looked at you sig...never mind. :lol:

    Rand

    Edited by randapex
  5. ...Because of the opportunity to fill the frame with the friendly Tigers... :)  I'd try the 10.5 for sure.

    Edit: Just looked at you sig...never mind. :lol:

    Rand

     

    Actually, your answer is still helpful. Your 10.5 on your camera is similar to my 15mm or the wide end of my 16-35mm on my camera, so, although it's not exactly an "apples to apples" comparison, it's at least "peaches to nectarines". :wub:

  6. Bruce,

     

    Check these out, which should answer your question:

    http://www.magic-filters.com/gallery/ingvar/index.htm

     

    We actually use the lemon shark picture with the Magic on our dealer poster.

     

    I was certainly planning to use the Magic Filter on the 'Beach. Although since I have subtronics I don't have to worry about re-cycle time.

     

    The 15mm FE on the 1DSmk2 is the same as Rand's 10.5mm. The 16mm (of the 16-35mm) is much less wide - although probably a good lens for the tigers.

     

    Alex

  7. Check these out, which should answer your question:

    http://www.magic-filters.com/gallery/ingvar/index.htm

     

    Oooh...COOL! I'm starting to feel really glad that I just bought that 15FE! I've seen some (and even taken a few) excellent photos of those sharks, but the extra depth of color (i.e., beyond the reach of strobes) with the Magic Filter gives them a totally different feel. I really like it!

     

    Methinks when there's sufficient sunshine, I'll be using the Magic Filter a LOT! :):lol::wub:

  8. Bruce,

     

    Tiger Beach will be ideal for the Magic Filter. I plan on using mine quite a bit on my August 6-12, 2006 Shark / Dolphin charter. Might have to watch where the sun is a bit versus tracking the sharks, though.

     

    Check out some of my recent pics at the Magic Filter web site shot in the Coral Sea. Each time I've used it I'm getting better and better results.

     

    dhaas

  9. Here is a poor example. Did not manually set WB, just set WB on Auto, shooting into the light, etc....

    post-1729-1140792700_thumb.jpg

  10. While on the Magic Filter subject has anyone a good trick to extract the filter from the rear of a Sigma 15mm lens ?

     

    Once in there I have a real extraction problem :P

     

    Paul C

  11. Sorry to hear that Paul!

     

    I would imagine a pair of tweasers with a bit of kitchen towel wrapped round the end (to protect the filter) would do?

     

    Hope this helps,

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. Obviously I am shocked anyone would want to take the filter off again! :P

  12. I will give it a go Alex - I just dislike dithering about with metal bits and pieces near any lens.

     

    In a rash moment I did ask my missus if she had a gash pair of tweasers that I could have - result - got funny look number one.

     

    Funny look #2 followed when I asked if such things were available in plastic....

     

    Had to leave the conversation there before it all got out of hand.

     

    Paul C

  13. I had the opposite situation, I needed to hook the filter from inside my camera, but that was all my fault not the product, since I order the biggest size to test it with my P&S camera (pretty good results btw) When I got the 10.5 I cut one but not so good, so during the dive the filter stared to 'travel' around (nice effects - half frame red and half not :P ) and at the end of the dive it's was found stuck inside the camera.

    So, another order is on the way with the right size this time :D

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.