Does anyone have any info on this pairing of A striatus and A hispidus?
They were together through all of my three dives that day at Secret Bay, Bali, on Sept 11, 06. I also saw a photo on jamesw's site of what appears to be the same couple from a month before in August.
The black striatus acted like other male frogfishes I have observed, actively pushing up against her from the rear. Do you think it is just mistaken ID? Or does anyone think they ever hybridize? I did ask Graham Abbott from Diving 4 Images about this and he said he has seen those two species together before in what was apparently a mating-type association. But he said he had no idea if it was mistaken ID or if they might actually hybridize.
Here is one picture below of the pairing from behind, while the small black A striatus was actively pushing against the large A hispidus, more pics of the pairing are in the photo showcase here:
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...t=0entry81098
A striatus (black) pushing up against A hispidus (yellow):
