Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

HOW MUCH !!!

Started by DeanB ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

HOW MUCH !!!

17 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I've been asked to provide footage for the BBC. It's from my latest film, set in a fresh water lake.

     

    As this is my first time supplying footage so I phoned a well known U.K company for pricing idea's, they said:

     

    Job cost minimum £450. Then £15 per second if shown once per year. £17-20 if shown twice then make a deal for further broadcasts.

     

    The BBC told me they pay £1000 for every 3 minutes. That works out as £5.55 per second. O.K that to me is still good, but it's a third of what I was told.

     

    The programme is going on mainstream T.V either BBC1 or BBC2 so they are making big bucks...

     

    Any thoughts.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  2. They're taking the piss. Absolutely! As is their tendency. Years ago I supplied footage to the BBC news and they told me "we have no budget for footage". Yeah right. Silly little green me did it for free along with an interview but I wouldn't again.

     

    If they won't budge on £5.55 then let them go and shoot their own blummin footage.

     

    If they had approached me I would have asked 35 USD per second for single-territory documentary broadcast use with a 5-year term.

     

    Nose around www.oceanfootage.com to get a feel.

     

    You need to find out if it's documentary or entertainment (entertainment fetches a bit more), whether they're likely to push it out internationally after the UK, and whether they're expecting to show it on the net, how many times they'll put the clips in the show etc. etc..

     

    Nick

    Edited by bubblevision
  3. I pretty much go with US $20 per second for stock. that seems to be the industry standard.

     

     

    $1000 for 1 minute of footage instead of $1200 if they are buying mulitple minutes. if just one minute then stick with $1200

     

    HD on oceanfootage that Nick mentions seems to be $40 per second, but i think that might be a bit old school now that HD is entering the mainstream.

     

    Congrats on a sale Dean! well done!

  4. Hi Dean

     

    Just out of interest which lake was the film shot in? (Just being nosey!) and also make sure you let us all know when the programme is on TV!

     

    Cheers, Simon

  5. Hi all,

     

    Cheers for all the replies.

     

    Nick, thanks mate always good to hear you can get more money ;)

     

    Mike, cheers as well

     

    Simon, Keep your nose out :angry::blink: I'll tell you when I'm finished

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  6. Simon, Keep your nose out  :P  :D  I'll tell you when I'm finished

     

     

    DeanB

     

     

    LOL ok! :D

     

    I was just wondering if you could have been the diver with the camcorder who I literally swam head first into in neg 5m vis up at stoney cove before christmas!

     

    Cheers, Simon

  7. Ah dear Stoney Cove, I see the viz has improved then :P My wife finished her BSAC 3rd Class training in the early seventies there, and I'm amazed it didn't put her off for life! I understand the old cove is pretty popular for video/camera training etc these days ....

  8. Some idiot who should know better in Stoney Cove, 1998. Captured by friend with my first camera (Panasonic DX100) on it's first ever dive.

     

    nick_zepp3.jpg

  9. Haha yeah good old Stoney Cove :D

     

    I'm actually on a personal quest to get the pike from there on film. I've heard reports that they can get up to 8 foot long and I've even seen a blury photo that could 'possibly' back that claim up given enough beers afterwards at Nemo's.

     

    Of course I've not seen one yet and even when I do I have a feeling that I will still need that fabled neg vis lens which could also just be another urban myth :P

  10. Ahhh it were tough in our day.... pykie was a bit more frisky and I was bitten in the arse by the bugger. Yes... he was as big as a blooming basking shark even then! (sung to strains of 'Memories')

  11. What is this..an all Brit's forum now!

  12. Freakin pommies....so many beers they can't hold a still camera so go to video...

  13. So come clean Dean, it was Stoney, wasn't it.

  14. Ha, ha.. You guys.

     

    (Apparently)the owners at Stoney get a little bit frustrated at people buzzing the Pike. They are not very 'people friendly' and we can put them off breeding for a season (the pike that is). I was up there two days ago and the viz was 2 metres at the most. It's still around 3-4oc so the pike up there are not doing much as they get active around 10-12oc. So a of few more weeks yet.

     

     

    Their colours are most vivid during display times around June when I will be taking a look.

     

    I think 8ft is a slight exaggeration they average 3.5 - 4ft at the most.

     

    Chepstow has pike as well as most rivers. Those buggers are everywhere.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB...

    Edited by DeanB
  15. Oh yeah,

     

    I think I said 'Lake' not Quarry...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  16. You guys are pretty tough, judging by the helmet you appear to be wearing!

     

    What's it for? Headbutting your mates in that negative 5M viz?!

  17. You guys are pretty tough, judging by the helmet you appear to be wearing!

     

    What's it for?  Headbutting your mates in that negative 5M viz?!

    The helmet was principally for mounting torches so I could see what I was doing while wielding a cro bar in 70m in the English Channel.

     

    Of course it also served the dual purposes of making me look "tek" (very important) and stopping me removing portions of scalp on rustry shipwrecks and pitching boat ladders.

     

    Not quite sure why I was wearing it in Stoney. That helicopter hasn't got much brass on it. Maybe I was fearing a pike attack!

    Edited by bubblevision
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.