Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Dive Op wants to use my pic, should I charge?

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Dive Op wants to use my pic, should I charge?

27 posts
  1. A dive operator that we really liked would like to use the attached shot for their website and brochures. Up to this point I have just given them away, these guys are big. I am flattered and will give it to them but should I ask for anything? If so what?

    post-1729-1141053115_thumb.jpg

  2. Heck yeah you should ask for something! They are going to use the photo to promote their business and MAKE MONEY, so you should too. At the very least you should make your 'lowest acceptable price' be some free diving w/ them. If they are associated w/ a hotel, see if you can get accomodations AND diving.

     

    Good luck!

    James

  3. I fully agree with James.

     

    The picture was not free to take and they are not family so why would you not charge. Great shot by the way!

     

    Todd

  4. It is also important that in general we underwater photographers don't give our images away for free otherwise we devalue all underwater images.

     

    Generally it is easiest for dive centres to pay you in diving. So ask them for what they can give you most easily. You will get much more value that way (as long as you want the free diving).

     

    Money is of course much more useful - as having loads of free diving doesn't help you buy groceries!

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  5. Groceries? Who needs those when there is Top Ramen!? Buy camera gear instead...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. Money is of course much more useful - as having loads of free diving doesn't help you buy groceries!

    In 'groceries' I assume you mean groceries from B&H :P

  7. That's a great image - don't give it away. I know it's tempting to see your work published but if you give it away you not only devalue your work but also the work of every other u/w photographer. You can't blame them for trying to get images for free but they wouldn't be in business for long if they gave away their trips. At the very least I would expect accommodations and diving for a week. I'd push for meals too.

     

    Bartering can lead to some slippery situations though. A few years ago I provided a dive operator with some images (dupe slides) to use in a slide presentation at trade shows. A little while later I discovered my photos being used in their print advertisements. When I confronted them about it they said they had paid me for the images by giving me free diving. Watch your back and get it in writing, handshake agreements can turn ugly.

    Edited by Lionfish43
  8. Groceries?  Who needs those when there is Top Ramen!?  Buy camera gear instead...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

     

     

    James! Ramen!!! i didn't know you worked in the dive industry! we are two peas in a pod....

     

    I agree with the rest of em, you definitely should get somethign out of it. ANd the most important is as Larry said.... Get it in writing!

     

    Be very specific of the image with a description, also be very specific in the usage of that image. If it is for brochure say brochure, don't say "all media"

     

    I would also suggest a time frame....1 year, 2 year 5 year etc

  9. Don't forget Mike, I went to grad school too...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. Don't forget Mike, I went to grad school too...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

     

     

    Oh come on James, no one that went to Berkley ate Top Ramen when you had all of the great places in Bezerkly to graze in. :P:D

  11. Update

    In the Dive Ops original email they asked if I had any other shots they could use so here is what I offered:

     

    CD with 10 photos they could pick and choose from for use in their promotional material for one free trip in 07. We would be willing to pay in full, now, for my wife. So far no response.

  12. Awesome shot! I'd charge.

  13. Ditto to those that say "charge". It's a stunning shot that could make a great cover, for example, or a contest entry that wins a trip. What ever you agree to, put it in writing with an end date to the use, or they'll never have to pay for photos again.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  14. I also meant to comment, as you've had no reply, (perhaps they're thinking it over), how many times when you state a reasonable price for using your images, (not that you'll ever recoup even the teensiest portion of what it cost to take the image), you don't hear back. Ask them to check out licensing costs, so they see you're not making up prices willy nilly. This is a good site for estimating:

     

    http://photographersindex.com/price-ed-calc.dbm

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  15. Martin,

     

    That image is perfect for marketing uses because it leaves open the right side blue negative for type. I think you'll hear back depending on how they intend to use the image. If it was for web use, I doubt they'll fork out a 2-3k trip. But if it's for bigger promotional use, they might work with you.

     

    Joe

  16. Well Joe you have smitten the nail upon it’s crux. After a couple emails we settled on 50% off, about a $1300 value. Anyone have a boilerplate basic agreement? I did cave and will give them the picture “foreverâ€.

    Edited by NWDiver
  17. Hi guys, newby to the site here, i would just add two things:

     

    GREAT piccie

     

    Also insist that you are creditted with the shot everytime it is used, good advertising for yourself as well.

     

    Graham

  18. Hi Martin,

     

    I would make sure that "forever" means for as long as the operation is in business and under the same ownership, "AND" that forever does not mean they can resell the image.

     

    Great job, by the way.

     

    Joe

    Edited by Kelpfish
  19. I have no opinion on whether you should charge. However, if you're giving that image away, I'll take it. -Clay

  20. And Clay, would YOU make money on it?

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.