Hi guys
Here are to small screen grabs to compare the FOV from both the A1 and FX1.


Wags
Read-only discussion
Hi guys
Here are to small screen grabs to compare the FOV from both the A1 and FX1.


Wags
Wags
I'm guessing the first grab is from the A1 ?
Wags,
That is quite a difference. What is the stated FOV of the A1 vs the FX1. Also, both are greatly reduced underwater...I believe the FX1 is about 46...that would make the a1 less than 40...ouch. Is my math correct?
Yep first pic is the A1.
Yeh it's quite a difference. I had both camera's on a tripod side by side as close to each other as I could and on full wide and WB on the same static white object.
I think the FOV for the FX1 is like 76 or something. The FX1 is abit sharper but there is not much in it when zoomed right in tight on a subject. Landscape shots you can pick the difference and the FX is abit better in low light along with slightly richer colour.
The A1 looks great on cinamatone setting for outdoors but the FX is better using the same setting but yes the little camera needs a wide angle. When I first stated to shoot with it I kept trying to zoom out more...now I know why..
It's a very nice camera though and I'm sure it will work great under the water with a good wide angle on it. It is harder to focus with than the FX but i think that's because it's so small.
Thank you Wagsy. So how you think about A1? Do you wink i must go with A1 and buy the housing for it, ora decide to bring Fx1 and a bigger housing? :-)
Thanks
And great pictures :-)
ERIK
Erik - it's time for you to decide what you need: a small footprint camera that is amazing for what it packs, or a more fully featured camera with several picture advantages, but several big (IMHO) drawbacks - size being right up there.
I'm shooting a few hours on my A1 this w/e alongside shawnh and his FX1 - we'll report back next week, but I doubt there will be any real surprises.
Erik.
Nick is right...see what he comes back with after the dive together.
Nick have a happy & safe trip.
Now I was thinking of putting the A1 in my Phenom to try.... ![]()
Wonder if I will get any vignetting ![]()
Thank you Nickj, my only dilemma is to know how much differents are UW shoots between A1 and Fx1, it would be great to travel with a little camera with a little housing but if video quality from Fx1 is very very different from A1 and better maybe i will go with a big housing and the big Fx1. I don't have informations about quality of footage from A1 UW, maybe someone could help us :-)
Thank you
ERIK
Wagsy,
putting A1 in Phenom? ![]()
Maybe you could put 2 A1 inside Phenom ![]()
Just try it :-)
In any case....i would use an A1 if results will be very similar ti Fx1, differently it will be a problem to come in Australia with a very big Housing ![]()
Erik
It Fits..... ![]()

Uahoooo, just a little far from lens :-) but very very little :-)
ERIk
Damn! Big diff!
When comparing the FOV differences, don't forget that there will generally be an even larger difference underwater. The Fx1 housings are generally coming with a much wider angle port standard than the A1 housings.
To be honest this was a obvious outcome.
Two different camera's and all that. If they were identical the FX1 would now be obsolete. It all ways down to needs and costs of the buyer. I'm glad I didn't buy the FX1 because I'd be pissed off I didn't save a bit more for the Z1... ![]()
And it boils down to how big your pecker is. Bigger camera smaller..You know what I mean. I have a A1 it's tinky but my tripod is legendary ![]()
Erik: please decide or I'm coming over to Italy to buy you a fooking HI-8
Oh yes on that subject wheres my Italy holiday guide...
pretty please.
Dive safe
DeanB
And it boils down to how big your pecker is. Bigger camera smaller..You know what I mean.
Guess I'll be needing an IMAX setup then ![]()
ha ha ha
I just finished 10 days in the Coral Sea with an A1 / Evo Pro combination.
I think this is a terrific combination for most people - if anything it is a little small for my big hands. I was able clip it on while I was shooting stills.
The simplicity of the whole package makes it a blessing after fiddling with a Z1 in various housings.
No Vignetting at all - this might be enough reason on it's own for some people to choose this package.
My 2 cents
Peter
Peter,
Did you find the field of view restrictive?
How did the white balance behave?
Nick
Hi Peter, good news! But how are video clips, do you can put on web some demo?
Possible to make great video like wagsy do? :-)
Thank you very much for your informations.
ERIK
Nick,
FOV is fine - I did try it with a 100 degree lens that I have in my box of trick's and found the curvature to be excessive & that the image was a little soft.
For use in a tourst operation such as yours this will be more than enough.
The Standard lens is plenty sharp enough , it is in fact the same lens that has been on the earlier DV & DVCAM offerings from Amphibico.
Erik,
In a word - NO ( Wagsy has a bit more spare time than some of us
)
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.