Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wetpixel Shark trip - any tips

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Shark trip - any tips

30 posts
  1. And how's this for a fisheye shot? :) A topside flash is absolutely essential to fill in the sharks during dusk shots.

     

    050402_182919_echeng5047.jpg

    Edited by echeng
  2. And the guy sat and waited for the right moment, banged off one shot and got it too. That is how I was told by the crew.

     

    Outstanding shot.

     

    I tried with the housing and strobes to get an over/under but did not get anything close. Although I had lots of chances...no one seemed keen to get onto the transum. :)

  3. Eric,

     

    I love how one of your shots shows the tiger rolling his eye up (to protect it?) as he closes in. Cool.

     

    Chris

  4. Alex,

     

    For shooting sharks underwater I personally like the versatility of the 17-40 on my 20D. For topside I think everyone has covered it well (a good zoom and fisheye). The only other thing not mentioned was a polecam setup. This setup can be a lot of fun to shoot with some great results, plus you can stay out of the bubble zone (and sharp teeth!) on the back deck. Don't forget your macro lens too! You can get some great spawning shots with a huge Tiger shark in the background! No kidding.. Razorfish were spawning like crazy on Tiger Beach two weeks ago. :o

     

    Water temperatures are in the low to mid 70's. I'm a cold water wus so I'm wearing a 5mm farmer john and a 2.5mm vest & hood. Most of the time the shark action is so intense you won't even realize you're cold, though. A Warm Winds type jacket is highly recommended.

     

    Aside from all this the only two bits of advise I can give is watch out for that Laz character. He's bad news! :D

     

    Laz

     

    BTW - I second Bruce's comment on your photography, Dave. On top of it all, it looks like you've Photoshopped me shaking fins with a Tiger (and MikeO ready to shoot a self-portrait). That's wrong, you underwater paparazzi!!! :)

    Edited by laz217
  5. Yeah, I never did get that shot of me with the tiger shark swimming over my shoulder. Harder than I thought to line myself with the shark using the reflection in my dome port. If course with my luck, I'm probably fortunate not to have a shot of my head in the shark's mouth. Hard to believe but I actually got bored after the third day there so I started trying things I probably shouldn't have . . .

  6. Laz (and others)

     

    No photo PhotoShop job. Laz IS a Tiger Shark molester :)

     

    dhaas

  7. I am so excited to dive w/ you guys!!!!!

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    PS, if anyone is reading this, I'm setting the alarm and the self destruct button on my house, so you better not try to break in again...

  8. James,

     

    Wait..You're an adopted Texan, right? So Sara isn't armed with an UZI?

     

    LOL

     

    dhaas

     

    P.S. - Wish I was going :)

  9. Whatever lens, wetsuit or type of shot you take you must remember... The important thing is that you always follow our Do's and Don'ts when swimming with the sharks. We've learned from previous visitors to Tiger Beach what NOT to do. For example (take this example of our friend Señor Haas)...

     

    1. NEVER ATTEMPT TO SURF WHILE AT TIGER BEACH!!

    surfdave.jpg

     

     

    2. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BELLY-FLOP NAKED INTO TIGER BEACH!!

    bellyflopdave.jpg

     

     

    P.S. - Wish I was going :o

    Oh... Something tells me you'll be there in spirit (and Photoshop). LOL! :)

     

    [it's amazing what trouble I can get into when I have a day off! Looks like I'll have another one of Dave's weekly call to JASA to complain about me waiting for me when I get back]

    Edited by laz217
  10. Here I am trying to pack and leave for Columbus OH Scubafest regional event this weekend, and now I may have to fire up Adobe Elements and find more incriminating Lazaruuuuu photos......

     

     

    :)

     

    dhaas

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.