Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Chris Newbert & RStours?

Started by kcf955 ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Chris Newbert & RStours?

9 posts
  1. Out of curiosity, I checked out Chris Newberts Rainbowed Sea Tours and saw that his site has not been updated since 2004. Is this related to a documentary a year or so ago about a diver that missed her boat due to current at the Gallapagos Islands and drifted for a few hours before making it to an island where she was found at sunset. Chris Newbert was interviewed about the incident since it was one of his tours. I have an autographed copy of his book "Within a Rainbowed Sea" which has to be one of the greatest collection of underwater images, especially considering they were made in the old'n days of film. Anyhow, just curious what happened to him.

     

    Keith

  2. d'n days of film- I think he still shoots film from what I read in Fathoms Magizine a few issues ago. There are folks who still shoot the pricy stuff. Never thought he kept the web site current so whats a few years. His book still stands as one of the best collections of all time for u/w images Mark

  3. Anyhow, just curious what happened to him.

     

    Chris still does dive trips, and indeed he shoots film. Not only does he shoot film, he is rather vocal about not liking digital, which is sometimes a bit annoying. Most of the people on his trips shoot film, and most of them are quite adept at photography. Chris himself is in a class of his own. If you see his photos drying in a photo room, you'll easily take his throwaways. You'll see 36 near perfect shots.

     

    One thing ive noticed about Chris is that underwater when he's around, critters spontaneously give birth, start fighting, attack something, eat something, or whatever it is that'll make his images amazing :) Ive been on 2 of his trips last year (one by accident, he didnt fill the trip and the boat owner opened it to us), and both times he had mind blowing photos.

     

    I do think though that he's less able to fill his trips and is moving to smaller boats. The number of people staying with film are decreasing, and with Chris I think he's got the added problem that some of his regulars are quite old. He also seems to be mostly inviting people through his email lists. But I would say it doesnt bother him. He's got another passion now, which is his horse farm.

     

    I dont think there is any kind of fallback from that accident you mentioned. He's doing better than ever, especially since I think he won a pretty large settlement with a company that used his photos without telling him.

     

    Kinda silly his website isnt up to date though.

     

    Cor

  4. Thanks Cor for the update! Glad to hear he is doing well, just too bad he does not have a website promoting his trips or his photography.

     

    Keith

  5. I'm still on Chris Newbert's e-mail list. I get invites all the time. One of the problems, at least for me, is that his trips are often 2-3 week affairs. This is great for value, but difficult for missing work.

     

    I'll skip the digital/film issue for another time.

  6. I'm still on Chris Newbert's e-mail list.  I get invites all the time.  One of the problems, at least for me, is that his trips are often 2-3 week affairs.  This is great for value, but difficult for missing work. 

     

    I'll skip the digital/film issue for another time.

     

     

    Could you pm me his email address? I would not mind looking at some of his trips, despite being an outcast digital shooter :)

     

    Thanks, Keith

  7. Chris still does dive trips, and indeed he shoots film. Not only does he shoot film, he is rather vocal about not liking digital, which is sometimes a bit annoying.

     

    That may be true but I have read quite a bit of film bashing here as well which hase been a bit annoying- I have learned some great tips from Chris as well over the years. He has film down and when that was all there was that was and is still a feat.

    If you can I'd like that e-mail addresss Pm as well. Thanks Mark-still shooting film with a few dedicated others

  8. That may be true but I have read quite a bit of film bashing here as well which hase been a bit annoying- I

    Uhm, not from me onokai. I agree with you, film bashing is just as bad, and my wife (who just last week changed to a d2x from an f100) has gotten her share of 'helpful hints', and so did I when I was still shooting a nikonos :) And I didnt call it bashing. I never felt bashed on his trips. He's actually quite a nice guy. Chris's trips have been extremely productive for me, both as a learning experience, as in images i got. I would join one of his trips again if it so turned out. They have been a lot of fun, especially cause I like some of his regulars :o

     

    I'll pm you his address,

     

    Regards,

     

    Cor

  9. Can you put that address here to the public or "pm" me as well. I'd like to check it out. Thanks

    Bryce

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.