Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

REEF HOOKS DO YOU USE ONE?

Started by AndyBarker ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

REEF HOOKS DO YOU USE ONE?

49 posts
  1. I use the Halcyon 2M marker bouy myself. It has a Coast Guard approved SOLAS reflective tape across the top.

     

    I also carry the OMS Dye Marker (Item # SD - DYE). The Dye marker seemed to take on H2o after 100 dives or so so I just replaced it. Also, a powered air horn is a necessity.

  2. Hello All, I have logged on to this site for some weeks and having now joined must contribute to this particular thread.A diver of over 10 years and an avid videographer for the last 6 I was first inroduced to the reef hook in the Maldives and have carried my own custom made version ever since.Last used 4 weeks ago on many of the dives in Palau when two handed operation of a large video rig would otherwise be imposable or a liability to the corals on the reefs.

    Us 4 Brit's were very much the minority onboard the Palau Aggressor but yes, we had the yellow flags bungied to our wings and were very impressed at the detailed breifing our fellow divers (reef hook virgins) received from the Captain.On Blue Corner later that day another 14 converts to reef hooks were made!!

    For the record my hook is made from .5cm marine stainless conected to 2mtrs of .7cm yellow terrylene knotted every 50cm for grip.The attachment end combines a snap link ( onto central placed "D" ring of wing ) with a nylock quick release buckle for emergency jetison.I carry it on all dives,you never know when such a valuable aid to steady,safe and non damaging photography will be needed.

  3. I use the Halcyon 2M marker bouy myself.  It has a Coast Guard approved SOLAS reflective tape across the top.

     

    I also carry the OMS Dye Marker (Item # SD - DYE).  The Dye marker seemed to take on H2o after 100 dives or so so I just replaced it.  Also, a powered air horn is a necessity.

     

    The Halcyon SMBs are large and very well made. However, I don't like having to disconnect the BC inflator hose in order to deploy the SMB at depth with a spool or reel. This design might be better suited to dry suit diving.

     

    I've had the same problem with the OMS dye marker. Also, the plastic tube is not very convenient to store or secure in a BC/harness pocket.

     

    There are two basic types of dye markers. In one the OMS product is an example), the dye spreads rapidly to forms a large, highly visible layer on the surface of the water. It disperses rapidly - the rate depends on conditions - so should only be used when a search aircraft is approaching or in sight.

     

    The other kind of marker dispenses the dye slowly from a cloth bag over a period of several hours. The dye does not just float on the surface of the water, and is very persistent. As you move relative to the water as a result of surface wind or breezes (or swimming), the dye will leave a colored track in the water that can be seen by search planes or boats. How long this "track" remains visible also depends on conditions, but it is very persistent. You do not need to wait for a search plane to be in sight before deploying this type of dye pack.

     

    It's usually best to look for products like this at marine supply stores or ship chandleries than in dive shops.

     

    Last but not least, photographers using DIR-style backplate, harness and wing rigs have a ready-made central attachment point for a reef hook. The front d-ring on the crotch-strap, normally reserved for scooters and/or emergency towing, is perfect. Attaching a reef hook to a conventional jacket BC in a strong current can sometimes present roblems.

     

    Welcome, Reef Hook - it will be good to have you hanging around.

     

    Frogfish

    Edited by frogfish
  4. I have had my dye marker for about 2500 dives... never had a prob with it. It stays in my left BC pocket at all times, and believe me i beat the crap out of my gear.....

     

    I use a conventional BC and have probably used a reef hook more than anyone on this board. (being a liveaboard dive guide in Palau and the Tuamotus for 5+ years..) I attach it to both pull down strap D rings on the shoulder straps, never a problem...

  5. Mike,

     

    Could you post a picture of your setup? I just started using a hook and would like to see the double rings attachment.

     

    Thank you

     

    Sylvie

  6. Hi,

     

    From what i can remember Mikey uses the same method as i do, looping the hook through both D-rings on the pull down straps and then back through itself. This is good for 2 reasons, it keeps the center of rotation in the middle of your body, keeping you steadier, and then if you are of a bigger frame like Mike you have a safety line if one breaks! :P:blink:

     

    This is the method I have used in the Maldives, Palau, Tahiti, Galapagos and Cocos and most recently the Revellagigedos - They are not very useful in the last 3 places mentioned because of the need to hide in the rocks, but still worth taking as a safety item...

     

    Awaiting your response mikey!

    post-4803-1143465880_thumb.jpg

    post-4803-1143465911_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Scuba_SI
  7. How's the weather in Huddersfield!?!?

  8. After my first trip to Palau, I made a bridle for my BC. Two small clips and a short length of parachute cord, doubled for strength. Clips from D-ring to D-ring across the chest. Two knots help center the clip of the reef hook but still allows the clip to slide, if needed, to turn sideways. I spent several hours this last weekend digging in my closets looking for it, as I’m headed to Palau in two weeks. I finally found it in my old BC that was replaced last year. I also found a lost Do-Rag and pair of gloves. Woo-Hoo I’m set to go. post-10-1143539874_thumb.jpgpost-10-1143539940_thumb.jpg

    Edited by rooster
  9. Cool setup.. good thinking!

     

    And i like your BCD....

  10. Thanks Simon, Thanks Bob (had to check both of your website to find your names, LOL. That's one way to get people to see your websites !!!)

     

    I love the idea of the bridle. Just need to find out how good I'm going to be with knots !!!!! Which knots do you usually use to secure the rope to the clips? (Back to basics !!!)

     

    Sylvie

  11. Just call him Seaman.. i do...

  12. Mikey, thats your pet name for me, ssshhhh!

  13. Thanks Simon, Thanks Bob  (had to check both of your website to find your names, LOL. That's one way to get people to see your websites !!!)

     

    I love the idea of the bridle. Just need to find out how good I'm going to be with knots !!!!!  Which knots do you usually use to secure the rope to the clips?  (Back to basics !!!)

     

    Sylvie

     

    I use a standard bow line to tie the clips. It's the easiest for me to remember. Something about the fox comes out the hole, around the tree, and back down the hole. You know, simple things for simple minds. ;)

    lh1pst.gif

  14. carry one and only use it when necessary, I was in PNG where you must carry one the same as a safety sausage.

    If used correctly I think they are a benefit.

     

    :)

     

    I spend a month in PNG every year and I have NEVER used a hook. I've never seen one produced or allowed on the boats I've used, nor would I use one. I have never seen one used without some damage to the reef. Multiply one small damage with the numbers of divers in any one area and that damage adds up.

     

    What boat do you use that requires one?

     

    On the seamounts, we simply dive on the leeward side, hense little current. On linear reefs, we drift. I respect boats who believe in "leave no marks on the ecosystem".

     

    Having been behind such boats as yours on pristine reefs, I'v seen that damage.

     

    Oh, and I do manage to get good pics in rough currents without one, and I'm

    proud that it isn't easy when I think of the damage I did not do.

     

    End of rant.

    Edited by AllisonFinch
  15. Quote "I've never seen one produced or allowed on the boats I've used, nor would I use one. "

     

    Some of the skippers I've used (not PNG) would either throw the hook or diver who tried to use one, off!

     

    I must agree Alison, that its perfectly possible to get good shots without such devices and without causing any damage.

  16. Regarding the Reefhook,

    I use one in specific dives and think you can use it without damage in certain situations but not anytime and anywhere.

     

    Regarding the SMB discussion, I'm using a small 5ft, 35lbs for shore dives and a 7ft, 75lbs version for offshore diving. I have broken a couple of the plastic ones before already but the Carter seems to last.

    It also saved my butt in a couple of down-current situations...

     

    Cheers

    Torben

  17. Hi Guys,

    Great topic.

     

    I live and work in Palau. Before that I was in Yap for 3 years (here for 1 and a half so far). Reef Hooks when used properly are both safe and environmentaly friendly. Notice I said "when used properly". There are always some divers who's limited experience is reflected in their choice of locations to anchor themselves.

     

    But believe me there are not many dive shops here who use or promote their use. There are daily exhibitions of very poorly led dive groups by guides which don't seem to be too bothered about their divers climbing all over the reef when the currents start ripping. If reef hooks do, from time to time, become eroneously placed I would motion that the damage done is by and far less destructive than having dive group after dive group litterally crawling over the reef by their uneducated guides.

     

    Its a tough call. I use one as I film daily in Palau. There are quite a few reefs here though that don't require the use of reef hooks. I guess it all comes down to what your personal ethics involve. Either way I love what I do and I don't lay judgement to anyone else should they decide to use one or not. I see their benefit and I appreciate them.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  18. Good thoughts mark,

     

    I'm glad I was given one when I dived Blue corner in Palau as I would have ended up in OZ otherwise...!!

     

    As quoted, you just have to be careful and listen to where the guides tell you to stick your hook... Or sling it.

     

    All though I did see clumbsy divers crawling all over the reefs for better positions.

     

    Its all down to the individuals attitudes and skill levels I'm afraid. Educate the masses to save our oceans assess.. Or something like that ??

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  19. After my first trip to Palau, I made a bridle for my BC. Two small clips and a short length of parachute cord, doubled for strength. Clips from D-ring to D-ring across the chest. Two knots help center the clip of the reef hook but still allows the clip to slide, if needed, to turn sideways. I spent several hours this last weekend digging in my closets looking for it, as I’m headed to Palau in two weeks. I finally found it in my old BC that was replaced last year. I also found a lost Do-Rag and pair of gloves. Woo-Hoo I’m set to go.

     

    If you ask me...this one looks like one of those golf "swing trainers". :lol: I'm not sure I'd be that comfortable if this puppy started to dangle from its stowage.. :lol:

    Edited by ce4jesus
  20. Just returned from 3 1/2 weeks in Galapagos including 5 days at Wolf and Darwin. I was the only diver on Sky Dancer not using a reef hook in extremely strong currents. Can't say it wouldn't have come in handy, but I prefered to use the large boulders available to hide from the current. Definately built up my right fore arm from holding the camera one handed though. And by the way, my Carter SMB saved my rear several time waiting for the Zodiac in 8 foot seas.

     

    Doug

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.