Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Magick Numbers

Started by Glasseye Snapper ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Magick Numbers

23 posts
  1. Great stuff James, I've printed it out for reading on my flight to Cuba. Did you try to fit an exponential decay to the data to see what the absorption per meter was for the three colours?

     

    Bart

  2. I've never got pleasing slides with filters and gave up very soon. But I was highly satisfied with the results from the first dive with the magic filter on a digital camera.

     

    Are you sure those depths are in meters not feet? They are great shots and the rocks even show real red. Shots of such large schools are great for filters as strobes can't reach that far.

     

    Thanks Bart. Yes, meters.

    In spite of the strong filtering effect for this depth, the 10D had to struggle a bit with these images (high ISO and still quiet strong WB). Although those images have small dynamic resolution in the red colour channel, they came out fine in terms of red colour - but a bit noisy for large prints. I think this would have been a good 5D dive ;-)

     

    Julian

    Edited by Jolly
  3. Great stuff James, I've printed it out for reading on my flight to Cuba. Did you try to fit an exponential decay to the data to see what the absorption per meter was for the three colours?

     

    Bart

     

    No Bart, I did not. A good idea but I'm not sure if the data support the analysis. I shot that series a while ago (2003) with my old S2 in RAW mode. I think (wrote it down somewhere, might be in the pdf?) that I shot it with either aperture or shutter priority in order to keep the exposure more or less constant as I was interested in the change of the ratios of RGB light instead of their absolute value (which is what you would need).

     

    It occurred to me that my reluctance to play with filters uw and to up the ASA/ISO may be one last throwback from my long gone film days where 50 or 100 was where you wanted to be to be competitive.

     

    Enjoy Cuba!

    James

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.