Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Ikelite housing for 350D

Started by markdhanlon ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite housing for 350D

6 posts
  1. I am totally new at underwater photography. I have a Canon 350D with the stock 18-55mm lens and am planning on buying the Ikelite housing along with a DS125 package with TTL sync cable, spare battery for the strobe and a flat port.

     

    I am going to take this to Malaysia for my dive master course and will be away for almost two months. Therefore I'd like to have any foreseeable spare parts, maintenance gear, etc. with me. Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, etc.? I would certainly appreciate the help.

     

    Specifically, what recommendations for TTL sync cable vs wireless slave sensor. Can a slave sensor be used with a 350D in the Ike housing?

     

    Thanks for all the help.

  2. Hi Mark....and welcome to Wetpixel !!

     

    Two months in Malaysia !!! Lucky you !

     

    I figured some of the more knowledgable folks would reply to your question, but since they haven't I'll try to help with my comparatively limited experience.

     

    You have a good camera for underwater use. There are better lenses out there of course, but I have seen some excellent UW pictures taken with the 18-55.

     

    There is a seemingly endless selection of lenses and ports available and it gets confusing trying to decide what would work best. If your budget allows, I would recommend the 60mm macro lens. It will work behind the same flat port as your 18-55. The zoom lenses seem to work better behind dome ports, but if your budget is limited to one port, you can use both these lenses with the 5502.

     

    You will want to use the 4103.51 sync cord. The slave sensor can be used with this housing and camera, but it is triggered from a second strobe and you indicated you would only have one.

     

    As far as spare parts, perhaps a spare housing o-ring and strobe o-ring. If you plan on doing night dives, the DS125 has a good modeling light built in and a spare bulb for that might come in handy as they do burn out. Follow the Ikelite recommendations for maintenance of the housing and o-rings. Pretty simple actually, just rinse everything well in fresh water and make sure the o-rings are sealed and clean.

     

    Hope this helps.

    Edited by dmoss
  3. I bring along a whole host of spare parts for my Ikelite housing. Spare port latches, o-rings, zoom/focus gear & clamp, sync cords, bulbs, cf cards, batteries. I figure I spend thousands on a trip so why not spend a few hundred on insurance.

  4. Good advice here.

     

    No, you won't need a slave sensor (or want one) you'll just use one of the "blue banded" Ikelite eTTL cords.

     

    Another thing to bring along is a 2nd battery pack for the strobe.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. Thanks for all the help.

     

    I'll have to make sure that I purchase some extra parts when I pick up the housing.

  6. Hi Mark

    The Ikelite housing and DS125 for the350D was the best investment I made, Used it everyday for neally four weeks in the Philippines, easy and great fun to use. Have a look in

     

    Cheers

    Ted

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.